Recent posts

General Discussion / Post crash analysis- did the f...
Last post by Frank v B - Today at 09:59:18 PM
A member crashed an airplane and found an aileron servo that would not work properly.  It skipped when it was deflected a little to one side. Typical symptom of broken gear teeth.
I did not witness the crash.  It would be good to know the plane's attitude when it mated with Mother Earth.

Question- did the servo break cause the crash or was it due to the impact?

Took the servo apart:
Two of the black output gear (attached to the servo arm) teeth were broken.  One of the smaller white gear teeth was broken as well.  See photo.  The broken teeth are in the middle.  The sharp end of the screws point to the missing teeth.

Why is it dangerous?
Two things can happen when teeth are broken in flight...based on personal experience:
1) the servo will not deflect the flying surface.  When it is an aileron servo, you usually still have one good servo in the other wing.  The plane will still fly but with sluggish control.
2) dangerous.  When the servo starts to deflect near the broken gear, the pressure on the control surface will make the output gear to skip and lose neutral, sometimes significantly.  The next deflection can cause the control servo to doubly deflect.

Note the first photo where the pieces were embedded in the white grease.  If the teeth broke because of the crash, I would expect the black output gear pieces to be embedded beside each other.
The teeth were found on opposite ends of the white gear which means they broke when the gears were turning...in flight.

My opinion: I believe the gears broke in flight and caused the control problems.

Coming to a future episode of "Mayday", the crash investigation TV show. ;D

Frank
Trading Post / Want to buy Spektrum Transmitt...
Last post by msatin - Today at 04:23:26 PM
Dear Members,

On behalf of TEMAC, I'm looking to purchase 2-3 Spektrum Tx's with wireless training preferably built in, or least capable.
These will be used to replace the the outdated Tx's we use for training students.
If you have an older Tx that is just gathering dust, let me know and we'll work out a fair price.
You can contact me at [email protected].
Thanks very much.

Mark S.
General Discussion / Raining today; good flying yes...
Last post by Michael - Today at 01:22:58 PM
On Tuesday several flyers came out to fly. I saw Glenn, David, Rob, Mark, Alex, Simon C, Kenny, and more were coming in when I left.

The sky was blue, and it was windy, but manageable.

Alex took this photo of David, Glenn, Simon and me, after we flew our jets together.

General Discussion / 905 squadron swap meet Sunday ...
Last post by Frank v B - Yesterday at 10:11:26 PM
Just letting you know. This coming Sunday.  Athol Cohen will be selling most of his collection of tools, models and equipment.
I cannot go because off a family trip to Kinsgton this weekend.

Frank
Building / Construction / Re: L-39 Albatross by Planepri...
Last post by bfeist - Yesterday at 09:11:15 AM
One positive for using individual channels per control surface is you'll have precise trim, though with such a precisely produced model you might not need it.
Last post by GuyOReilly - Yesterday at 07:44:09 AM
Impressive!
Last post by sihinch - Yesterday at 07:07:25 AM
Very nice and good choice on the additional spend.

Good luck with the gear.
Last post by davidk - April 15, 2024, 09:39:56 PM
Taxi test today.  Very good, but I'm not happy with the way the landing gear attaches to the servoless retracts.
It's just a 3mm bolt going through plastic against the retract flat spot.
Retract 3D landing gear is always an issue.  If you over tighten just a bit the plastic is stripped.  If the wheel turns at all while landing you'll tear out a whole wing and then things get really bad.
I'm trying a 100% solid part instead of a 15% infill that is originally called for.
I'm also going to try, for the first time, threaded inserts.  I have just enough room... I think.

My only other complaint about this plane is that is requires an 8 channel Rx.  In most planes the Aileron servos are installed opposite to each other and so a "Y" cable can be used.  All good in this plane.  Normally, the Flap servos are installed in the same direction... again a "Y" cable can be used.  In this plane the Flap servos are installed opposite to each other... no "Y" cable.  Also, the front gear steering servo is installed so that it's backwards to the Rudder... again no "Y" cable.  Count 'em up and you get an 8 channel Rx.

I toyed with, and actually installed, 2 servo reversers.  They worked and all is good... but... I don't quite trust them.

The difference in cost between an AR620 and an AR8020T is $40.  This pretty little plane is worth a few more dollars.

General Discussion / Re: Runway Rolling
Last post by GuyOReilly - April 15, 2024, 12:56:45 PM
Thank you @davidk !!
General Discussion / Runway Rolling
Last post by davidk - April 15, 2024, 12:06:55 PM
We were thinking of rolling the runway this week but the rain over the last several days has left the field and runway too wet.
It's raining from Wed on for the rest of this week.
When we get a run of dry weather and the runway is still pliable we'll start rolling but I've no idea when that will be.
When we do start rolling, the field will be closed while the equipment is active and on the field.
This means that while we are working on the field there will be no flying.
We'll post here at least a day before we start and put a call out at least a day ahead for help.
Post here with any questions you have.