Recent posts

Building / Construction / Re: Latest Print
Last post by Frank v B - Yesterday at 10:03:28 PM
Looks like a Formosa biplane- a mid-air collision between two Formosa pylon racers.
Love the two-tone elements.

Frank
Building / Construction / Re: Box Fly 20- electric build
Last post by Frank v B - Yesterday at 10:01:09 PM
Yes, Guy.

Before I started building it I flipped one fuse side over.
Sounds like you speak from experience.... but so do I!  8)

This is not a kit.  It is a 3D puzzle.  Formers are marked on the plans and the formers have laser numbering (F1- F11) but the numbers do not match the plans.  The laser cutting is so precise they only fit one way.

Frank

ps: I had to line them up that way to join them because the steel ruler had to be on the bottom of each piece.  Otherwise I could not have fit all the pieces on the board in one sitting..
Building / Construction / Re: Latest Print
Last post by sihinch - Yesterday at 06:08:18 PM
That looks imposing!  What is the model?

Bravo David.
Building / Construction / Latest Print
Last post by davidk - Yesterday at 11:00:31 AM
This has only an 1100mm wingspan but there's so much bulk to it.
Building / Construction / Re: Box Fly 20- electric build
Last post by GuyOReilly - Yesterday at 08:05:37 AM
Looks like a fun kit to build.
Make sure you do not end up with 2 right sides as the picture indicates. :D
Building / Construction / Box Fly 20- electric build
Last post by Frank v B - March 26, 2024, 10:47:55 PM
When I visited family in Holland in October 2023, I visited Ton van Munsteren.  He is a prolific designer and has many models published in British model magazines.  The best way to describe him is to call him Holland's Laddie Mikulasko*. 
Ton had just designed and built the Box Fly 20 and gave me a kit.  I had to cut the pieces to fit them into my suitcase.

The first step was to re-glue all the cut pieces.  I pinned one piece to the board and aligned the other half by using a steel edge to make it straight.

Will let them cure overnight before starting to assemble the plane.

Photos:
1) photo of my visit to Ton's house and shop.  The plane is in the foreground.
2) the kit as given to me
3) all the pieces were nicely laser cut.
4) the pieces I had cut apart were glued together.  Note the metal ruler used to make sure the pieces were straight.

Frank

* Laddie flies with the Burlington group and has many designs published in RCM magazine.  He designed the Force 1, Laker, Northstar and Easy 100 put out by Balsa USA.
Building / Construction / Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plan...
Last post by Frank v B - March 25, 2024, 10:26:19 PM
MMMMMM.  Building a model to build a model!! 
That's a twofer.
There appears to be a fine line between an obsession and an addiction.
Just don't stop now. 8)

Frank
Building / Construction / Re: Frank's Bill Evans Scimita...
Last post by sihinch - March 24, 2024, 06:44:04 PM
Well it will definitely fly amazing with that patented thruster set-up!

;D
Building / Construction / Re: Frank's Bill Evans Scimita...
Last post by Frank v B - March 24, 2024, 06:36:55 PM
Finished airplane.

Am having a problem binding receivers (tried 2) to my transmitters (tried 2) and have been unsuccessful.
Will count on Temac's electronics brain trust* to help.

Frank

* anybody but me!
Building / Construction / Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plan...
Last post by sihinch - March 24, 2024, 06:17:04 PM
I've not made any progress on the RC PT boat because I'm waiting for the wooden replacement parts to arrive for the cabin etc.

But one of the things I got in the habit of, when doing a scratch built model, was to build a plastic model kit of the subject. I've done the same with PT109 to help me add some of the details to the larger areas of the deck.

Unfortunately the model I bought was a cheap one and it's pretty crap! The details are poor and the actual moulding is not of a good quality with lots of flash. But it will help and if nothing else, I can practice my airbrushing before I make other model kits.

But the parts for the RC model should arrive this week! I'd like to get it finished before May.