Recent posts

Trading Post / TWO NIB BALSA KITS
Last post by ppalumbo - March 02, 2024, 04:18:47 PM
Two NIB Balsa Kits

The first is a Trainer Forty by Great Planes. Asking $75

The second is a F.40 by Fox Models. Asking $100

Take them both for $135.

Will also be posting on RC Canada shortly.
Building / Construction / Re: Is it a bird? Is it a plan...
Last post by sihinch - March 02, 2024, 02:27:23 PM
Hopefully not!  ;D

The white straps are cable ties holding it to the mount.
Last post by GuyOReilly - March 02, 2024, 02:16:24 PM
Looks scale to me!!
BTW, is your motor water cooled?
Guy
General Discussion / Re: Most common lipo
Last post by davidk - March 02, 2024, 12:18:27 PM
HRB : Good but may only last 3 to 4 years
Gens Ace : Great
Spektrum : Great
CNHL : I've not used yet.  Kenny likes them
Roaring Top : Michael likes these
Hoovo : Kenny likes these.  I have them.  They seem good.  Although some brand new 4500mAh 6S 100C have shorter jet flights than an HRB 4000mAh 60C.
SMC Dual Voltage : Michael has been trying these and likes them.  A couple of planes don't like the higher voltage.  The E-flite Beechcraft bawks but then accepts.
Youme : stay away from - terrible.
SiGP : I only have these in 4S 2200mAh.  Not bad, not sure how long they'll last.
Zeee : stay away from
Last post by sihinch - March 02, 2024, 09:20:31 AM
Wow! This boat is something else. I'm hoping you can all forgive the nautical nature of this thread from now on because it's gonna get a whole lot more relevant to anyone that's built a scale model.

So the servo is in and I've tested the electronics with the ESC, so the hull is essentially done.

Unfortunately I'm missing the die cut parts for the cabin and pilot house. I was going to scratch build but Dumas sell the spare parts! It's 3 sheets of die cut wood for $5 each. As far as I'm concerned that's well worth it.

While I'm waiting for the parts for the main structure I've started to build the scale accessories - I need to build torpedoes, guns, depth charges etc.

Anyway, I'm learning loads! The kit comes with wooden dowels for the torpedoes and you need to add all the details. Straps, supports, end caps, mounting flanges. None of these parts (except the end caps) come with the kit. So you build them from styrene sheet and vinyl tape!

At the outset, I wanted a military looking boat that was semi scale but you get sucked in. "Oh I'll just add that detail" and "if I've done that I might as well add this bit." I guess this is what it means to build a scale model, whether plane or boat. And I now realize I've never done this before!

I'm not building a competition scale model here but I will invest some time to make the major parts somewhat detailed. So far I've spent 6hrs on the torpedoes and have finished one and nearly completed a second. I need 4!
General Discussion / Re: Most common lipo
Last post by sihinch - March 02, 2024, 05:54:45 AM
Brand or size?
General Discussion / Most common lipo
Last post by rc technics - March 02, 2024, 12:41:54 AM
I'm interested to know what is the most commonly used lipo at temac?

Any thoughts?

Paul
Building / Construction / Re: Top Flite SE5A - 50 year o...
Last post by Frank v B - March 01, 2024, 09:14:16 PM
Love the wooden structure. 
It so needs fabric covering (Solartex) but it is no longer made.
Worth sending 5-6 members out to the 905 Swap Meet and buy up any available before anybody else can even look at it.

Frank
Building / Construction / Re: COVERING SEMINAR- Saturda...
Last post by Knightlite - March 01, 2024, 06:34:57 PM
I managed to get the day off and I would like to come too.

Colin
Building / Construction / Re: Top Flite SE5A - 50 year o...
Last post by Michael - March 01, 2024, 06:12:31 PM
Lower wing ailerons sanded, fitted and temporarily hinged, and control horns cut to shape.

Tail parts sanded, fitted and temporarily hinged, and pinned in place.

I'll work on the servo-tail linkages next.