Recent posts

Building / Construction / Re: Top Flite SE5A - 50 year o...
Last post by Michael - April 21, 2024, 02:16:51 PM
Rudder painted.

Last post by Michael - April 21, 2024, 12:53:27 PM
The under-sides of the wings and stabilizer/elevator remain translucent off-white.

Last post by Michael - April 21, 2024, 12:11:26 PM
All main components have been covered and mostly painted.

A little more paint to go, followed by receiver/gyro-stabilizer/throttle installation.

Then some basic assembly.

General Discussion / Re: which batteries are better...
Last post by PDS - April 20, 2024, 03:11:46 PM
Hello,

Welcome to the hobby - I hope you find it as exciting as I do!

I am likely the least qualified to give you an opinion!  I only received my wings about a year ago.  I learned on an Apprentice [well, actually two Apprentices - I crashed and repaired the first one so many times it got beyond being airworthy and the parts were harvested and transplanted into other planes   :)  ]
I use a 3300 mAh battery.  The Apprentice is capable of at least a 10 minute flight with that battery - however my "nerves" always run out before the battery!  Ten minutes of hyper-focused concentration is a LONG time!  I rarely fly more than about 7 minutes.  While training my usual routine was: fly, land, pause, settle, pee, replace the battery, repeat.
In my opinion, better to have a few batteries that will give you 7 minutes than one that will give you 15 minutes. Sure, one can reuse the battery for several flights, but I prefer to change it after each flight. I would typically have 4 charged batteries at the field and, for me, that was enough!
Likely some of the more experienced fliers will have a different opinion, but there are my thoughts!
Paul   
Trading Post / FS: DJI FPV full package with ...
Last post by bfeist - April 19, 2024, 05:03:55 PM
Hi fellow TEMACers. I haven't been flying my DJI FPV drone for quite some time and thought I'd put it up for sale. It really is a lot of fun and gave me that feeling of flying I always imagined while flying RC.

Never crashed, always taken care of. Batteries always stored at 60% charge.

Paid: $2,374.70 + camera bag
Currently retailing for: $2052

Asking: $1200

Included:
  • DJI FPV drone
  • 3 batteries and DJI charger
  • DJI Goggles V2
  • DJI Goggles rechargable battery pack
  • DJI Goggles battery adapter that lets you use any 3-6s pack to power the goggles
  • DJI controller 2
  • 4 Props with case
  • 4 Spare props with case
  • A perfect camera case backpack that I bought separately
  • 2 USB charging adapters for remote and goggles battery
  • Video out USB adapter for connection to phone or tabled (Android or iOS) for spectators to watch
  • Spare canopy and goggles strap

Everything that you need to get flying
Building / Construction / Re: L-39 Albatross by Planepri...
Last post by msatin - April 19, 2024, 04:07:33 PM
Very clever solution Dave!
General Discussion / Re: Post crash analysis- did t...
Last post by msatin - April 19, 2024, 08:25:43 AM
Thanks Pat - Never noticed that
Last post by pmackenzie - April 19, 2024, 07:40:55 AM
Quote from: msatin on April 17, 2024, 11:14:36 PMPerhaps RealFlight (RC Flight Simulator) should include various types of failures into the their sim
FWIW, it already does do this :)
Building / Construction / Re: L-39 Albatross by Planepri...
Last post by davidk - April 18, 2024, 11:42:25 PM
I could not get the landing gear to bolt solidly to the retract pin with 3mm machine screws.  They slide around even when taxiing a bit.
I've wanted to try threaded inserts for a while and got some and some attachments for my soldering iron.
The inserts melted into the PLA in about 1 second.
The retract pin is 4mm so I put a 4mm steel rod into the landing gear to ensure I didn't go too far when putting in the threaded insert.
Then, instead of using a machine screw I used a set screw.  With a bit of Loctite I can really tighten the gear on now without fear of stripping PLA threads.
I feel using a threaded insert and a set screw may solve this issue with 3D printed landing gear.
The threaded insert is 3mm x H4.  It is 4mm in length and 4.2mm in diameter.  After they were installed I screwed in a long 3mm bolt and tried very hard to pull the insert out.  It wouldn't budge.
We'll see how it all does on grass.
Last post by Knightlite - April 18, 2024, 10:41:25 PM
Taking off with reversed servos after a transmitter swap.