Savoia Marchetti S55X 1933 Twin Hull Flying Boat

Started by bweaver, January 15, 2014, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Bruce,

re your : ".... I have to be positive that it will float first."

Right-side up!  If not, reduce the prop size by a factor of 10 to compensate for the increased density of water versus air.  Flying boat... motor boat.  What's the difference. :D

It will fly.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Wingnutz

Quote from: Frank v B on March 22, 2015, 09:28:45 PM
Bruce,

re your : ".... I have to be positive that it will float first."

Right-side up!  If not, reduce the prop size by a factor of 10 to compensate for the increased density of water versus air.  Flying boat... motor boat.  What's the difference. :D

It will fly.

Frank

I agree the Savoia will fly...or float...right side up...however because of the thrust line I think there might be a difference...and upside down may prove risky in air or water!
Trying to fly it upside down (especially if it's flat bottomed wing...err flat bottomed when it's right side up) will turn it into a lawn ornament . For the same reason, reducing the prop to 1/10 and trying to navigate upside down on water will turn the craft into a submarine!
I agree with Frank on this part...fly or float right side up!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bweaver

:P I'm bringing out the Sovoia Marchetti S55X to tomorrows build session in order to get some tips to finalize it.  I have been in a funk with it and now it is time to get out of it.  Moving on.......

piker

Excellent, Bruce!    I'm looking forward to finally seeing it.

bweaver

Since attending the build evening at Col Mustards, I have completed the electronics installation.  Everything fits and everything works.  Now finish covering, water proofing, building cockpit cover, hull hatch covers and attaching control surfaces.

The ESCs are mounted under the twin motors.  They are not water proofed yet.  They are held in place with Velcro strips.  When it is time to take to the water, I will bag these components then re-secure them.  Moving on......

Wingnutz

Bruce,
Any luck finding a Moretti or Peroni can for your motor cowling? The model really should have as much Italian content as possible!  ;D
I can't remember...did you use a regular size beer can or a tall boy? I'll see what I can find for you by next class!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bweaver

It's a tall boy that I was planning on using. 

As you can see from the photo, the tall boy just isn't quit tall enough on its own.  I will have to do some modifications by extending the can or using two cans.   Going to a can of Italian origin sounds like a solid idea to me. 

;D

bweaver

:D
It is finally ready for the sky. (and water)

All control surfaces are connected, canopy completed, only a couple of decals to install.

With a 1600 3S battery installed in each of the hulls, it balances out pretty well right on the specified CG. The hull battery hatches are secured with a dowel at the front and magnet at the back. 

For those that care, the beer can was reduced to make the front cowling only and painted silver.  The remainder of the fake motors, cover and rear engine cowl is made from shaped balsa.

For flying off water, I intend on scotch-taping each of the hatches and canopy to prevent water from entering the aircraft.

No more excuses.  ::)

piker

Wow!  It looks beautiful, Bruce!  Congratulations!

You did a fantastic job on the building.  I hope it flies as good as it looks.

sihinch

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Fantastic!

That shows a great deal of work in the details!
Michael

Oscar