Latest Print

Started by davidk, March 27, 2024, 11:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

This has only an 1100mm wingspan but there's so much bulk to it.

sihinch

That looks imposing!  What is the model?

Bravo David.

Frank v B

Looks like a Formosa biplane- a mid-air collision between two Formosa pylon racers.
Love the two-tone elements.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Big surfaces on this plane.

davidk

Wings done.  Electronics next.

davidk

Finished the Lower Wings.  The features built into these designs are really well thought out.

davidk

Setting up the Elevator and Rudder Servos showcase some nice design features.

davidk

From the backplate motor mount to the prop I need 61mm.  I had 55mm with the 4mm motor mount so I printed a 10mm part.  I used PETG instead of PLA because it's a bit stronger and withstands heat a bit better.

davidk

Motor is in and tail is on.

sihinch

Super nice build David.

Michael

Amazing design and engineering.
Michael

davidk

Just ran the Watt Meter to get an idea of prop size and numbers... but this always confuses me.

Motor : Turnigy SK3 3548 1050Kv : Max 50A : 720W
ESC : Turnigy Plush 32 80A
Battery : 4S
Flying weight : Around 6 pounds

The specs on the motor claim a 10x5.5 prop will draw 48A and 665W.

I tried 3 wooden electric props, the numbers are below.  I only ever got just over 1/2 throttle before I chickened out.
The motor might have been a bit warm... it was so slight I couldn't tell.  The ESC and battery were cold.
PlanePrint recommends a 12 x 7 prop for this plane.

10 x 6 : 10A  :  Underwhelming.  I can't see using the motor recommended prop.
11 x 5 : 13A
12 x 6 : 18A and 300W

The 12 x 6 prop was blowing me away, literally.  Stuff in another room started moving.  At that's just a touch over 1/2 throttle.

If I'm getting 18A at just over 1/2 throttle, is there a way to extrapolate out to full throttle?

sihinch

You could see if you can find an equivalent motor on ecalc. Like this:

https://www.ecalc.ch/motorcalc_mobile.php

davidk

Thanks Simon,

I've paid for eCalc here and there over the last few years... maybe I will again.

I'm going to stick with the Turnigy SK3 1050KV and a 12 x 6 wood prop.  I'll never run at full tilt and I'll check the motor and ESC after a few short flights to make sure things will not melt.

davidk

So proud to show an image of an empty Zap bottle.  First time in 5 years that a bottle has been completely used, not gone thick and gummy, not had the top so badly crusted and broken that it won't work.

The wheels have a nice suspension system.  The front is hinged and the back suspension is possible with these tiny elastics I found at the dollar store.  The wheels incorporate ball bearings so they spin beautifully.  This may be my first printed plane that has wheels that will survive a landing.

The Cowling Lock is a clever design.