New project - West Wings Fournier RF4

Started by Michael, March 31, 2020, 02:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Georgetsigaridis

My jaw dropped as well. It is like the covering was painted on. The newbies, I am sure, would appreciate a workshop or two on covering balsa using various coverings. You are an artist Michael!

Michael

Thanks guys, and good idea, George.

Maybe a live Zoom TEMAC meeting on covering, in a week or two.

What do you guys think?
Michael

Michael

Covering continues.

Michael

davidk

A work of art.  How do the cowl cheeks (excellent name) stay on?  I can't quite tell by the pics.

Michael

Cowl cheeks inner slots fit over small balsa pieces; will be glued later on.

Michael

Michael

Stabilizer.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Love the colours!  Looking forward to seeing that beauty fly.
Guy

sihinch

I dunno, that left side of the stabilizer has some of the trim that doesn't quite line up!  ;D

Michael

Fin/rudder, with photo inspiration.

Michael

Michael

Tail and rear fuselage.

Michael

Georgetsigaridis

Good idea about the online meeting and covering tutorial Michael. I am in. Let me know when.

msatin

A covering tutorial would be terrific Michael, and couldn't come at a better time. I hope to start my 1st covering attempt on a balsa kit in the next couple of weeks or so.
I need to get a heat gun, none of the local shops seem to have them in stock.
I assume I can use a regular one from hardware store as long as the wattage is the same?
You never fail until you stop trying

davidk

This is the one I bought.  Haven't tried it on covering yet.  Used it for heat-shrink tubing.  I like the dual temp setting.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/black-decker-dual-temperature-heat-gun/1000140753

Frank v B

Mark,

re: the heat gun.

A heat gun is a "nice to have", not a "need to have".  A regular sealing iron can be used to shrink any and all covering.  Attach the covering at a medium setting and then shrink it at a higher setting.  I did not get buy first heat gun until I had built about 5 .40 size airplanes.
Most heat guns at a hardware store are way too hot because most of them have a paint stripping setting... the equivalent of a blow torch.  A regular hair dryer doesn't get hot enough.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

I cut out some letters and applied them. I used similar red sticky-back trim.
Michael