Frenchman's Bay Float Fly, Saturday May 17 (Thurday evening *CANCELLED*)

Started by piker, May 12, 2014, 03:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Thursday evening float fly is ***CANCELLED*** due to horrible weather!

Saturday, May 17 at 4:30 'til dark is a ***GO***!  I hope to see everyone out for a great evening of float flying.  We're over due!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last two attempts at getting together for a float fly have failed miserably!  Ugh!

So this time, I'll try for the originally scheduled evening of Thursday, May 15 from 4:30pm 'til dark with an alternate evening of Saturday, May 17 as a back-up plan.

The weather forecast for Tuesday is for a chance of rain, but with light winds.  That's good news as the strong winds have been our worst enemy so far.  I think there's a very good chance we'll have a nice, calm evening for flying this time.

I'll post here as we get closer.  Please check in to make sure we're still on, before heading to the water.  I should be able to post as late as the afternoon on Thursday.

I hope many of you can make it out... even if not for 4:30, you can still get there when you get there and have a great evening of flying.  After all, I know everyone can make it to TEMAC on a Wednesday evening, so why not Frenchman's Bay on Thursday   ;)

BTW, if anyone ever wants to call me before heading out (to confirm that we're there) my cell# is 416-828-8722

Here's the link to our location:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8167352,-79.1147209/43.8122371,-79.0922973/@43.8129031,-79.1015995,1434m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

imran13

Hi,

Sadly I won't be able to make it Thursday as its my weekly cadet parade night. I won't be able to make the alternate day either because I'm going away for a field training exercise.

Hope you guys have lots of fun!! ;D
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

piker

I'm still waiting to see how the weather develops for tomorrow.  Yes, they're calling for Thunderstorms, in the morning, but that may finish and leave us with a beautiful evening for float flying.  They're calling for light winds, so that looks promising.

I'll bring my trailer and planes to work in the morning and I'll be prepared to head straight to the Bay for between 4:30 and 5:00 (I'll aim for 4:30 but I can't be sure about traffic).  You should do the same!

I'll post here tomorrow around noon or soon after to confirm or cancel at the last minute  ;D

It'll be fun!  I hope you can make it!

sihinch

Just to confirm. Frenchmans Bay, right?

I may come for some Formosa pylon racing (on floats!)

battlestu

hmmm float-mosa racing ... looks I'll need to dust mine off  ;D
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Wingnutz

What are the rules for Float-mosa racing? Sounds like fun...!!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Well, as much as I hate to do it AGAIN, it looks like the conditions are not going to improve for this evening.  100% chance of rain and windy and gusty.  Not a great day for float flying.... so:

Float flying for this evening, Thursday, May 15 is cancelled!  Ugh!

But, we have a back up plan with promising looking weather... so:

Float Flying is on at Frenchman's Bay, Saturday, May 17 at 4:30 'til dark.  Be there or be square!!!!   ;D

It'll be AWESOME this time... I promise!

piker

Well, it was a good call cancelling tonight.  I'm always worried I'll cancel then have the weather turn nice.  Not tonight.

So we're looking good for Saturday evening!  I can't wait!!!

frajolex

All,

are we all set for tomorrow? I will finally have a chance to do the maiden flight of the new C-FDTZ (remember the first one died on its second flight)....

Andre Albuquerque

Be careful... it's always too close, no matter how far...

piker

Yep!  The weather still looks reasonable and hopefully the rain won't amount to anything.

Come on out, Andre!  It'll be great!

Robert

fprieto

Yeah !!!!
Looks like the forecast for this afternoon is not bad at all !!!!
I'm in !!!!

Beaver club member

thehaze

Quote from: Wingnutz on May 14, 2014, 05:37:24 PM
What are the rules for Float-mosa racing? Sounds like fun...!!

As one of the pioneers of Float-Mosa racing. I declare that the only rule is FUN!   ;D

oh and you need a float-mosa...
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

piker

We went.  We flew.  We dunked.  We got cold.  And we had a great time... as always.

Yep, the weather wasn't the greatest, but we made the best of it anyway.

We had a really good turnout even though we were missing a few of the regulars.  But about 12-14 people showed up eager to float fly and we did!  Even Andre, famous for his nicely modified beaver, came out and flew from water for the first time.  And it was great to have Alan visiting from Guelph and Mike Brody out flying up a storm as well. 

So, despite the less than ideal conditions, we had a great time... but of course, we always do at the beach!

Let hope for that ideal evening of float flying weather for next time!

Thanks for coming out, guys!

Bigstik

Thanks for the mention Rob. Great to see you and again thanks for 'straightening' my Tidewater. I sure flies sweet now. Got to get cracking on the Spectra and the Lake Buccaneer.

Alan (Bigstik)
Bigstik

Bigstik

Rob, what are the specs of your Italian Schneider, span, motor, etc.

Still have the Fiat C29 drawings.

Bigstik
Bigstik