We're going to have an online meeting ...

Started by Michael, April 13, 2020, 07:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

We're going to have our first club meeting online, in about a week or so. We'll be using the ZOOM app, so download it onto your iphone or ipad, or any suitable/compatible computer that has a camera.

The topic of the meeting will be 'covering balsa models with heat activated film'.

I will do the presentation, followed by discussion.

Athol will be collecting email addresses of those that want to watch and participate.
Please send him your email addresses, and mention that you want to participate:  [email protected]

A Tickler (club newsletter) will be emailed out with some details, and then a day/time will be confirmed.

Michael

Michael

We are going to have an online ZOOM meeting!

Several TEMAC members have asked for an official online meeting, with the ZOOM app (for iPhone, iPad, etc.). There have been specific requests for a presentation on covering balsa models with heat-shrink plastic film. I'm thinking that it be held 7pm on Wednesday April 22, but we can discuss this on the TEMAC Forum website.

If you want to participate, the ZOOM app requires that you be invited to the conversation, so please send your email address to:   [email protected]

Of course, download the app onto your device. When we do have the meeting on ZOOM, you'll need to indicate that you're using video and audio. If you have any questions, ask on the TEMAC Forum website.

Also, please submit questions regarding covering your models on the website.

Everyone that sent Athol an invitation request should have received it. If not, it's possible that he might have missed it. Please resend your request and he'll send you the invitation as soon as possible. If anyone has not yet requested an invitation, there is still time, up to end of day on Tuesday 21st.  [email protected]

Things will get better in a few weeks, and if protocol allows, we will likely be flying at the field again. Please make sure your membership is paid up for 2020. We do not want to collect cheques and cash at the field. Please make an email-money-transfer to: [email protected]
Michael

Michael

The purpose of the online meeting is twofold.

First, and most important, it is a venue for us to maintain the social relationships we have as a club. Hopefully, the meeting will go smoothly, and maybe be a bit funny and entertaining.

Second, it will be informative, but mostly to beginner builders. It is aimed at modellers who are considering covering their first balsa model airplane with heat shrink covering. Please participate, even if you are an expert builder, because there's always a tip or two that you could potentially use.

I will give a few tips and ideas regarding covering, and then I will cover the the two items shown in the image: a wing section with a carved wing tip, and a stabilizer with rounded front and sides, and square back.

The format of the meeting will be as follows: I will run the meeting exclusively for the first 15 or 20 minutes, preferably with no other input from anyone, essentially to keep it running smoothly. I know many of you will have other ideas and techniques you'd like to share, but in the interest of order, we'll hold that dialogue until after I finish covering the 2 pieces.

Michael

Michael

Sorry guys, it's after 7 and I haven't received Athol's invitation to the ZOOM meeting. I'm still waiting.
Michael

Michael

Well, I think that went very well. I really hope you all enjoyed it.
Michael

Michael

Michael

Georgetsigaridis

The presentation was very good and I learned a lot. Thanks Michael

As the next topic may I suggest power systems. I have been following the builds and have noticed that the rational for the power system has not been posted. I know there are online calculators but I would like to learn the steps of putting together an appropriate power system for a given model. Where to begin and the reasons for each choice along the way.

This may be a tall order for one meeting so I am fine with a series.

Hope this is a topic of interest for all.

Michael

That's a good idea, George. We have had presentations on that subject in the past, but it was years ago.

Anyone else interested?
Michael

msatin

Thanks Michael - Great presentation!

Power systems is an excellent idea
You never fail until you stop trying

bweaver

Thanks for organizing and hosting the meeting Athol.

Thanks for the covering demonstration Michael.  As you had indicated in the offering, some of us may learn something new and helpful, which I did.

What I learned was the most obvious and simple solution to my corner folds that I had never thought of before.

I had always just slit the covering at a 45 degree angle from the corner.  Usually 1 out of 4 of my folds didn't come out in the desired quality. 

In the future I will cut the corner material away as demonstrated and the fold quality should end up improving it to 4 out of 4.

Thanks again guys.  It was great to see everyone.

PS (My apologies for the dome shine.) I even learned how to set the lighting for the next zoom meeting I will be attending.  Yes old dogs can be taught new tricks. Sit!

Palkina

Thank you Athol for Zooming and Michael for the presentation.
I've learned new tips in the covering techniques. Not sure when I will be able to apply these.  ;)

It was nice to meet everybody in the virtual space.

Andy Hoffer

Super presentation Michael, especially your surgically clean work bench.  I can't wait to see the maiden flight of your wing segment! ;D

Special thanks to all the attendees whose up close and personal facial expressions really enhanced Michael's presentation.

Great job by Athol containing extraneous noise from participants.  And congrats to BJ on his superb studio lighting.

Be well guys!

Andy H

msatin

I have just completed my first attempts at covering.
As you can see I'm having trouble with the intial point of contact. I suspect too hot.
I was able to make the wing tip a little better after spending some time smoothing out with the iron
Hopefully the other half of the wing comes out better

bweaver

@msatin Mark, for your first go, it looks great!

Much of the remaining areas that are not tight can be readily eliminated with a little patience.  I have a smaller iron that I use for just such touch up shrink jobs. The small shoe of the iron concentrates the heat only on the desired area you wish to tighten up and doesn't further shrink the area previously shrunk (if that makes sense).  I will be happy to lend it to you if you desire to use it. 

I can see why you had some difficulties with the wing tip.  The wing tip doesn't appear to be the same type Michael had covered in his demonstration.   The wing tip can also be improved if you like by replacing that area with new covering and ensuring that only the covering is tacked down at the ends of the wing tip and on the rib. In this instance to shrink the covering the iron has to kept off of the covering to avoid pushing down on it and inadvertently tacking it down on the flat wingtip piece.   (I am surprised there weren't a couple of small pieces of balsa flaring out from the rib to the end of the wingtip to help shape the covering in this regard.) 

Great job. 

msatin

Thanks for the offer and the feedback Bruce.
The extreme shrinkage (dang I hate that term ;)) occurred immediately while tacking down the corner. That's why i susepct the iron was too hot
I only ended up pressing down little while trying to fix it.
You've given me an idea however.
Perhaps I will pleace a former or 2 in the end cap to help retain its shape on the uncovered side. If the comes out better I will try to redo the bad side.