Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Want to say a huge thank you to Jack & Frank, and my fellow class mates for an awesome build class. Only Rob couldn't make it because he was watching a chick flick!

Frank and Jack were super patient and very generous with the sharing of their knowledge. I learnt so much about tool, glues and build tricks.

I promised the other students that I'd post these pics. Sorry I've not got time to explain them to everyone now, but I'm sure that if there are questions someone will know what's going on....

piker

I have a question...  Why is Frank sideways?

Michael

Michael

battlestu

best build class ever!! (maybe because it was my first) thanks for all the tips!

Can't wait for the next one
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

If you click on Frank he gets bigger and turns the right way up!!!

piker

He gets bigger but he's still sideways.  That's O.K.  It's a good look for him.

Soooo.... what did I miss?  Did "we" start building the tail surfaces yet, or are we only allowed to look at the plans?

Are plans for floats included in this deal?   :)

Did frank or Jack do some building during the class, or was it more of a tools, materials, plan reading, and techniques session?

What are we, the students, supposed to have ready for the next class in two weeks?

sihinch

Frank did build in class, and already had a version of the tail bits to show us, as did Jack.

We are "allowed" to build the tail feathers before next class.  The vertical stab & rudder, and I think also horizontal stab & elevator.

In class we are making it as per the plan, but Jack & Frank had modified the build slightly, based on some comments in the write-up that hinted to the plane being a little heavier in the tail than necessary.

I cant quite remember if Jack built his as per the plan, but Franks tail was 28g lighter than Jacks, I think!  ;)

(p.s. You are right, on a PC Frank stays sideways, on an iPad he turns right way up!)

piker

Thanks for the update.

I need to get my stuff from Jack so I can get going on my build.

Are you sure you're not just turning your iPad out of habit?   ;)

battlestu

he had to turn the ipad we was working on two devices ;) (i know it's hard to tell from the photo but ask anyone that was there)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

2pad Hinchcliffe. Otherwise known as iipad

Frank v B

re "I have a question...  Why is Frank sideways?"

I prefer sleeping that way!! ;D

Both Jack and I had built the tail feathers before the class.  Jack built them per plan and I built mine the preferred way to save some weight.  Jack's fin and rudder per plan weighed 28 grams, my modified way weighed 14 grams (apples to apples).  During the class I built the tail feathers per plan using the parts cut out from the kit.

To answer Piker's question:  I build during the meeting and Jack builds one step ahead so we know what the part looks like.  This way we can also tell the students any mistakes or clarify confusing elements before the students get to it.

The Norseman build class evolved this way and it seemed to work.  Plus, Jack is retired and can dependably build ahead while us working stiffs are sneaking and hour or two here and there and like our student days, have to cram before a meeting.

Both Jack and I get a kick out of these classes.  They are a riot.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

imran13

I think  the way Jack built it, the ply covering was 1/64th inch, as opposed to what's included in the wood kit which is 1/32nd inch.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When I got home from the class, I was looking at this picture, and I was wondering what that line near the top, that I've circled in turquoise means? I know the lower one represents the horizontal stab, but I have no clue what that upper one means.

Thanks.
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

piker

Hey Imran,

I just picked up my kit and plans from Jack and I'm looking over them now.  Yes, Jack used 1/64 ply on his.

The lines at the top of the fin are representing a top view of the fin and rudder.  Nothing you have to worry about including in the structure.

I'm glad you're working on it.  I'll get going on mine shortly.

imran13

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

I've started!  :)

It's not much, I know, but I have the rudder in 1 piece!  I labelled all the parts, and made a start.  I'm pleased as punch!  ;D

And I'm staking a claim to a colour scheme! Silver & orange with black visibility markings. Just like my Slipstream.