Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

My fin, as per the plan is a whopping 26g!

When weighed together fin & rudder show 38g on the scales!

Papa

Post some detailed photo's, that does not seem right somehow.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

OK, I've joined the group!  ;D

Rudder and fin built and partially sanded. One deviation from plans: the fin is sheeted with 1/32nd balsa instead of the supplied plywood.

Starting the stabilizer /elevator.
Michael

Papa

Looking good and welcome.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

Your plans look they show both halves of the horizontal stab. I'm sure mine only show half. Dis you adjust them?

Papa

You make a photocopy of the half, cut it with a scissors, carefully, flip it and attach it to the half on the plan.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Michael

Mine was a scanned copy, carefully reprinted to the correct size, traced on the back with black pen, and taped onto the plans.
Michael

imran13

Did all of you use the supplied pieces from the wood pack? I remember that Frank build his rudder differently because in the wood pack, the grain is going cross-wise (tip-tail), whereas it was strengthened the way frank built it, with the grain going vertically. I'm thinking of re-building my rudder the way Frank did.

Any opinions/suggestions?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

Dang! I missed that. I just built the rudder with the wood in the kit. So my grain is tip-to-tail.

Papa

Don't worry about it. The fake ribs will add lots of strength.

It will work out fine. Just bought the fixings to start the lower wing.

Will complete my kitting out this weekend.

See you in Aurora.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

electroflyer

What a nice looking Bipe. I checked out a YouTube video of it flying and was very impressed. I hope you all enjoy your building experience and appreciate the skills you develop. Is this scratch building or from a kit/short kit?

Glenn

Papa

Both, we have seven building from short kits and two maybe three building form scratch.

Thank you for your encouragement. We would love to have you drop by anytime and offer experience and advice.
It's a mentoring and demonstration sort of learning process. If you would like I can put you on the mailing list so you can stay
up to date with meetings etc?

Jack.
A motto to live by:

electroflyer

Yes Jack,
Please add me to the mailing list.
Glenn

sihinch

Would be great to see you in class, Glenn!

kclau

Hey Folks,

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth of information regarding my build. I started with the tail feathers, but could not find any feathers in my kit...."oh, yeah! It's all balsa wood...not feathers" ::) [size=78%].  So, I got done to it "starting the build",  and it seems to weigh a ton with all the extra bracing I added..."that was trying to copy Jack and Frank's beautiful[/size][/size], perfection tail feathers...oops! ;D  I meant Horizontal and Vertical Stabilizers!"  I guess if I sand it down far enough i.e. 1/64th thickness, then it will look lighter, and not way a ton...lol![size=78%]

Never-the-less, almost done with the H&V Stabilizers, just need a little sanding, and add the additional plywood.  Then I'm up to speed...I think? ???

That's all folks for now....talk to you soon :D

The King Pig