Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Yes!  Great time last night.  It's always fun to get together with TEMACers.

I need to start cutting ribs now.

Michael

Robert and I found nearly a perfectlly-proprtioned L-shaped aluminum rod, which we are cutting using for our wing/wing-strut attachment pieces.

The finished product ia approx. 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/8".

They may need some more cutting, filing/sanding, and will need further shaping and drilling.

If anyone needs/wants any by next Wednesday's building class, just reply here.
Michael

sihinch

If you're offering, yes please!

bfeist

Papa

Or you could use the 1/2" x 3/4" from Lowes as I did. less filing required. The fold under has to be about 1/8" so Michael and Robert you will have some filing or grinding ahead of you.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Actually, I cut the groove (for the plywood support) a little deeper, glued the L-bracket onto that, and then the 2 plywood pieces (one cut into 2 pieces) on either side.

I then used CA and accelerator underneath to lock it all in place.

I did not drill the holes in the L-brackets for the screws (that will hold the struts to then); I will do that later when I line-up both wings.
Michael

bfeist

Hey, does anyone have an extra piece of pink foam to use as a build surface? I've about had it with this drywall and bent pins. Happy to pay.

sihinch

I do Ben. Will bring it gratis on Wed.

Wingnutz

Covered the tail feathers...weight went from 32g to 45g... :-\
BTW, anybody got some spare aluminum stock for interplane strut brackets? Offering coffee or cash (limited amount!)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

Hey Bill,  You're not supposed to start covering until the plane is completely built!  How can you get that very satisfying pre-covering photo?

Anyway, I have four sets of angled aluminum pieces that I'll bring to the class tonight (enough in each pack for all strut connections on the plane...plus a spare or two).  One for Simon, one for Ben, one for you, if you want it, and one for anyone else who needs some.

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on April 02, 2014, 01:32:32 PM
Hey Bill,  You're not supposed to start covering until the plane is completely built!  How can you get that very satisfying pre-covering photo?

Anyway, I have four sets of angled aluminum pieces that I'll bring to the class tonight (enough in each pack for all strut connections on the plane...plus a spare or two).  One for Simon, one for Ben, one for you, if you want it, and one for anyone else who needs some.
Thanks in advance for the alUmineeum or however Simon says it...sorry about the covering...should I remove it?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

The damage is done  :)

Michael still has a foot or more of the aluminum extrusion, so if there is still a demand after the fourth set is spoken for tonight, I can cut some more pieces.

sihinch

piker

I could, but I haven't.  These are just rough cuts off the extrusion while I had a fence set-up on my band saw.  Trimming, smoothing, rounding, and drilling is up to you scratch builders   ;D

sihinch