Skywriter 2014 Build Class

Started by sihinch, March 06, 2014, 08:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Looking good Kevin. Nice straight and clean work.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Papa

I mentioned I was going to build the lower wing as one wing and cut it later to build in the dihedral. To make this easy I wanted to have a complete plan. I started with the printed plan on one side of my board and added some blank paper for the second half of the wing. I used Banner Paper from Staples.

I measured the distance from the centre line to the outside of the wing tip rib and transfered it to my blank paper. I then extended all the spar lines etc.

I got a piece of card stock, lined it up with the centre line and marked the location of all the ribs. I flipped it and starting at the centre marked all the rib locations at the LE and then at the TE on my plan. I then connected the dots and I had all the major locations I need to build a single piece wing.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

bfeist

Very helpful, Jack. Thanks for posting that, I was wondering how I was going to manage that.

bfeist

I'm finally making a start and have already run into a problem. I guess this comes down to just how much I should be trusting the CNC cuts. Are these just rough shapes? The balsa laser-cut rudder is the wrong shape. The cut parts cover the vertical 1/2" x 1/4" structural piece in the plan. This doesn't seem to have tripped anyone else up. Am I being overly sensitive? I'll just get the saw out and get on with it.

Ben

Papa

That's not a 1/2" x 1/4" piece. It's two 1/2" x 3/32" one on either side of the rudder. They help to lock the rudder pieces together.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

bfeist

Quote from: Papa on March 19, 2014, 06:27:37 PM
That's not a 1/2" x 1/4" piece. It's two 1/2" x 3/32" one on either side of the rudder. They help to lock the rudder pieces together.

Jack.

Well that explains it. How should I be reading these plans in order to know that?

Papa

QuoteWell that explains it. How should I be reading these plans in order to know that?

Hi Ben Sorry to take so long to respond. I have attached a PDF that shows where the information was but it is not very clear and you have to work out things for yourself. It requires a lot of "imagineering" and building in your mind.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

bfeist

Quote from: Papa on March 20, 2014, 01:14:35 PM

QuoteWell that explains it. How should I be reading these plans in order to know that?

Hi Ben Sorry to take so long to respond. I have attached a PDF that shows where the information was but it is not very clear and you have to work out things for yourself. It requires a lot of "imagineering" and building in your mind.

Jack.

Thanks Jack. Wow! Somehow I had convinced myself that that was a picture of the stab in position. But of course it isn't. I guess it's pretty clear I didn't attend engineering school.

Ben

Papa

Neither did I so we're both in the same boat. many of these plans are designed for "experienced builders" but it's a catch-22. How do you become experienced? You just have to bash on. I find that reading the blog and the 8 page magazine article with the plan in front of me helps me visualize my next steps. Then I visualize building that piece and see if I encounter any problems and make sure I have all the tools I need.

Jack.

A motto to live by:

sihinch

I've been finding that the best way for me to visualize the errors I am making is to start building and then realize you've gone wrong! It's great for teaching you how to correct things and overcome mistakes!

Wingnutz

Looking for a piece of hardwood approx 2x1x3 inches so I can fabricate one of Jack's "groovy" sanding blocks with a groove 1/4-9/32" across. Please LMK if you have something.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Wingnutz

See you tonight
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Another awesome class tonight! Thanks so much Jack and Frank.

And also thanks to Ben for the build manual/memento!

I find the sessions so interesting and informative but most importantly this building lark is so much fun!

I will post notes and photos tomorrow (hopefully).

I can't wait until next week!

sihinch

So here are the notes from last night;

Recommend HS65 or similar for aileron servos.
Suggest add an extra rib at the middle of each wing, where they join.
Frank used 5/16 for trailing edge and 1/2 x 1/4 for leading edge.
Don't forget to add the 1/4 x 1/4 second spar under the ribs before you build - but line ribs up to main spar and TE.
L shaped aluminium 3/4 x 1/2 from Lowes for strut attach point.
If wood is bowed make sure you oppose the bow with the symmetrical piece - to form either concave or convex structure. Never parallel.
You can lick bowed wood - see picture of Frank!
Wing tips should be on center line of last rib, not flat bottomed.

Hope this helps and jogs memories!

Papa

Very good.

I added two ribs in the centre from soft 1/8" balsa.
Don't forget to add openings for the servo leads!

Jack
A motto to live by: