Winter 2019

Started by sihinch, September 25, 2019, 08:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Ok, so things have been a bit quiet on here this week. So it's time for the traditional "what are you going to build this winter?" post!

I have a couple of high priority projects:

A VQ models Hurricane for .46 motors with 58" span
Finish my little pusher English Electric Lightning
A multiplex Twinstar for FPV
Repaint a Parkzone Spitfire to represent a reconnaissance aircraft.
Build another 4S Nooner.
And if I'm feeling ambitious, repaint an FMS 70mm F-18 like the 2017 RCAF F-18

All this in addition to trying to resist new purchases!

What's on your mind?

davidk

Try not to forget how to fly
Re-build the motor mount of an Eleven Hobby 1.1m T-28
Minor repairs to an E-Flite 1.2m T-28
Repaint a blue and grey T-28 so that I can see it when it's in the air
Figure out how to fly multiple T-28s at one time, in formation
Glue together the FliteTest Cessna
Glue together the FliteTest Corsair

BJROB

I have some fixer-uppers
The old sensie wings want to fly again
The Stinson and my fav. Jenny need some talc
Then there is the dream machines
Hanger 9 t-34 Mentor
The big J3 Piper cub
Still looking for some parts as well
Finish the asm of my parkzone spitfire MkIX
Minimum Ultmate
Pulse the fixers that I have.....
What to do first.... I don't know 🤔
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

Frank v B

I am not going reveal my builds until the season is over.  Still have lots of opportunities to crush balsa and foam.  Heck. Orangeville is October 6.  Usually some carnage there.  Carnageville!

Just putting the finishing touches on powering the Discus launch Fling.  Built a small balsa and ply pylon mount held down by a wing screw and put a small motor on it with a 4" prop.  Will try it out this weekend.  Just added the photo of the power pod.

I don't have the grace to discus launch.  The sight of me pirouetting around the field would be too much for the other members. ;D

Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZImCBseoOU
"Never trade luck for skill"

bweaver

I plan on kitting the warwing again if there is still an interest or a desire by club members for replacements.  Alternatively I have been thinking about going to use Dollar store foam board as an alternative and just making the plans available for others to use as a guide if they wish.  I'm thinking of hinging the fuselage so that Frank vb have an excuse for having one. (solves your storage problem)

I also have plans for making a larger Savoia-Marchetti S.55 than the one I had built previously. (50 to 60 inch wingspan) Twin hull flying boat.

I also have a few other ideas, repairs and kits to choose from.

For me, it should be a constructive winter season.  :D

msatin

I think I will do a warwing. Given my outstanding crash abilities - it seems appropriate :D
Something that will help improve my build/repair skill, but not so difficult that I will give up.
Perhaps follow in Dave's footsteps with a Flite Test?
An ARF of some sort perhaps?
Considering this will be my 1st winter involved in this hobby - I'm looking for suggestions.
You never fail until you stop trying

davidk

@msatin, the FliteTest stuff is fun.  It's not building... more folding and gluing... but still... there is a sense of pride when you launch it... and it stays in the air - and that never seems to diminish.

They are a bit pricey however.  The Simple Cub is $40 plus a Power Pack at $102.  Then add a Receiver, wheels, glue gun (if you haven't got one), glue and a few other incidentals.  If your plan is to build a few of them, then the swappable aspect of their power pod makes sense since you can pull it out of the cub and slide it into another compatible plane.

If what you're working on has landing gear, it's always a pain... at least for me.  They just won't track for me and I end up hand launching - which is fine - and using the landing gear for... er... landing.
And the wire they supply for the landing gear cannot be bent by hand... at least not with my hands.

They are best in light winds... but they are as much fun to fly as anything else.

msatin

Thanks for the feedback Dave.
Even folding and gluing can be a challenge for me. lol
Speaking of gluing - I'm also planning on reparing the SlowPoke as well.
Having a couple of different projects on the go over the winter will be a good thing.
Perhaps picking up something at one of the upcoming swap meets.
Always open to any and all suggestions!
You never fail until you stop trying

Palkina

Planing to pass the balsa repair school with one.    :o
In the foamy space: Need to resurrect three wings (just gluing) and one plane (polaris), and painting over foam.  :-[
In the quad space: resurrect the Brain - Hexacopter  ::)

Georgetsigaridis

I envy everyone with all your tasks since you have a larger hangar. My count is two at this time and they have been asking for brothers and sisters.
I will add a war wing thanks to Bruce and I have been looking at some balsa kits, specifically the Piper laser cut from HobbyKing. Any warnings regarding this kit would be appreciated.
If I find some deals at the upcoming swap meets I will jump on them. 
Looking forward to advice and guidance as I enter my first build season.

Gerald Danen

I found this amoung a street vendor's wares in Paris, thought I might give it a go.
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

Frank v B

Gerald,

A plastic kit.  Wow! 

Watch Greg Cadez come to life and offer his life's savings for this kit. ;D

Frank

ps: How is Europe?  How many belt holes have you lost to the good food and pastries? ;)

"Never trade luck for skill"

Gerald Danen

The good food and pastries are to die for...we've lost most of the calories by walking over 10k daily in our pursuits of fun and culture.  The stairs in Paris are everywhere!
See you next week at da meetin' eh.😀🗼🛫🛬
"Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance."

GuyOReilly

I have a few projects on the go:
1- a small low-wing plane I stole... err... secured from John Dutkowski.
2- a Minimoa - I will add an electric motor on the nose - scratch built
3- a Sig Tri-Star pusher, still in the box 

And of course I need to get flying the Smith Miniplane and the Komander.  ;D

Guy

Michael

Quote from: Gerald Danen on October 02, 2019, 07:25:18 AM

See you next week at da meetin' eh.😀🗼🛫🛬

The 'meetin' is today.
Michael