Spitfire

Started by GuyOReilly, December 01, 2020, 10:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Looks great Guy. I am looking forward to seeing it, or for that matter any planes fly.
What could possibly go wrong?

Andy Hoffer

Beautiful @GuyOReilly !  Easily better than the 50/50 rule.

I would not be surprised if you received a sheepish call from @Frank v B seeking your fine finishing services!

Way to go!

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re: my requirement for finishing services?  I can mess it up all by myself.

re: : Guy getting a sheepish call from me.  Guy, Andy will translate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfl9z9drce4

Guy, the plane looks great.  The Spit has nice lines.  Yours is the perfect size as well.

Call me for maiden day.  8) 8) 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 21, 2021, 07:26:30 PM
Andy,

re: my requirement for finishing services?  I can mess it up all by myself.

re: : Guy getting a sheepish call from me.  Guy, Andy will translate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfl9z9drce4

Guy, the plane looks great.  The Spit has nice lines.  Yours is the perfect size as well.

Call me for maiden day.  8) 8) 8)

Frank

Me too, @GuyOReilly! Me too!!

(That is going to be one baaaaad-ass plane!  ;D)

Andy

GuyOReilly

@Frank v B lama call you about the maiden...

GuyOReilly

Questions about velcro: how to ensure the velcro stays put on bare wood?
Add epoxy to bottom of vecro strip?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on January 24, 2021, 10:37:24 PM
Questions about velcro: how to ensure the velcro stays put on bare wood?
Add epoxy to bottom of vecro strip?

Hi @GuyOReilly

I have found that a thin coat of epoxy on the wood provides an excellent substrate for the velcro adhesive.  Of course, allow the epoxy to fully cure before applying the velcro.

Andy

Frank v B

Guy,

Depends on the size of the battery:

small batteries (<800 mah, 3S)- I use epoxy onto wood but make the glued part (usually the hooks) on the fuselage side bigger than the battery for more glue area...after cutting off the corners (so they don't catch).  The longer part on the fuse also allows you to move the battery fore and aft for CG reasons.

medium batteries: (up to 2200-ish, 3S) I use straps but glue the continuous strap under a piece of wood (hard balsa if there is space or good ply if space is tight) and then epoxy the wood to the balsa fuse side.

large batteries (4S-6S  2600 mah plus) I build a box out of balsa that stops it from sliding fore or aft and then strap it in with a continuous loop of velcro (hooks on one side, fuzzy on the other- available at Princess Auto).  I use this in my large P-51, Ef-1 racer and .60 size 6S pattrn plane.

FWIIW

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on January 25, 2021, 05:01:07 PM
Guy,

Depends on the size of the battery:

small batteries (<800 mah, 3S)- I use epoxy onto wood but make the glued part (usually the hooks) on the fuselage side bigger than the battery for more glue area...after cutting off the corners (so they don't catch).  The longer part on the fuse also allows you to move the battery fore and aft for CG reasons.

medium batteries: (up to 2200-ish, 3S) I use straps but glue the continuous strap under a piece of wood (hard balsa if there is space or good ply if space is tight) and then epoxy the wood to the balsa fuse side.

large batteries (4S-6S  2600 mah plus) I build a box out of balsa that stops it from sliding fore or aft and then strap it in with a continupous loop of velcro (hooks on one side, fuzzy on the other- available at Princess Auto).  I use this in my large P-51, Ef-1 racer and .60 size 6S pattrn plane.

FWIIW

Frank

Hi @GuyOReilly

For extra large batteries, I trowel in a 1/4-inch layer of thick micro-balloons/epoxy mix on the battery plate, bond an aluminum heat sink to the top of the battery, plant the battery in the filler, fill in the space between the inside walls of the fuselage and the sides of battery with more epoxy/micro-balloons mix, then add another 1/4-inch layer of filler on the top of the battery, around the heat sink.  Make sure to allow for good air flow through the fuselage to cool the battery via the heat sink.  I have never had one of these batteries move inside the fuse, even with aggressive aerobatics.   You just set your C of G once, and forget it.  A pair of booster cables and an extension cord for your balancing lead come in handy for charging the battery right inside the fuse.  None of that hassle of fastening and unfastening velcro straps and fighting to get the battery to come off the velcro hold-down.  If the battery dies, a fine jig-saw blade will make short work of doing a LiPo-ectomy, allowing you to install a replacement with more epoxy/micro-balloons grout!.  @Frank is a master of the art of filling with a whole range of compounds (construction adhesives, mastic, Sheetrock 90, etc.  Check with him for advice on the finer points of this technique.   ;D

Andy

GuyOReilly

Thank you for these great tips, @Andy Hoffer and @Frank v B .
I coated the floor of the box with epoxy.
A piece of velcro will be added to the bottom once set.
The front, top and sides will be lined with foam blocks so the battery does not move in these directions.
The opening to insert and remove the battery will be closed with a piece of wood, held in place by pressure and friction - pictures to follow later in the week.
Have a great evening.
Guy

GuyOReilly

Don't you just hate it when you run out of thin CA in the middle of a snow storm?!?   >:(

sihinch

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on January 26, 2021, 11:06:14 AM
Don't you just hate it when you run out of thin CA in the middle of a snow storm?!?   >:(

Mon dieu!  You'll have to use @Frank v B-brand white glue!!  My condolences @GuyOReilly .

Andy

GuyOReilly

Looks like I have a bad connections somewhere...power does not go to receiver.  ???
All solder joints to be examined.   ::)
Better on the ground then at 100 feet...  :o

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on January 27, 2021, 09:39:01 AM
Looks like I have a bad connections somewhere...power does not go to receiver.  ???
All solder joints to be examined.   ::)
Better on the ground then at 100 feet...  :o

Yikes! Definitely a COVID-19 variant @GuyOReilly .  Better wear a mask and soak your receiver in alcohol!  ;D

Andy