1/2A Anderson Pylon

Started by GuyOReilly, November 20, 2021, 10:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

This kit was given to me by a good friend who lives near Ottawa.
It is an Old-Timer, so is the kit  ;)  power will be electric, a BR2212 - 1000KV motors I have in stock.  2cells should do.
The construction starts tonight with the most complex portion of the build: the fuselage.
The framing is all sticks.
The model will be covered using dope and tissue/silk/fabric.  I have plenty of brain cells to kill, so doping in a poorly ventilated basement should assist with that process.  Also, I will keep you posted should there be matrimonial issues resulting from my decision...   :o
Metal gear micro servos will be installed for elevator and rudder, no ailerons.  This set-up works fine in my Buzzard Bombshell and this one should turn-out lighter.

GuyOReilly

Another perspective of the fuselage.

Frank v B

OOOHHHH!
I see another maiden flight on the horizon. Call me to help you out on the day (launch, cheer, clap, cry, etc.).

Frank

ps: add wash-out on the wings. Pin down the wings when they are drying after doping or they can become a sine curve.  Asymmetry ruins a good flying day.
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Frank v B on November 20, 2021, 11:21:31 PM
OOOHHHH!
I see another maiden flight on the horizon. Call me to help you out on the day (launch, cheer, clap, cry, etc.).

Frank

ps: add wash-out on the wings. Pin down the wings when they are drying after doping or they can become a sine curve.  Asymmetry ruins a good flying day.

Thank you for offering a shoulder to cry on should the Maiden Flight not go as planned.   :-X 
The wings are polyhedral platform, unsure how or where to do the wash-out.  At the tip of the wing?  At the joint between the flat section of the wing and the tip portion?
Guy

Frank v B

re:wash-out

The reason for the caution is that wash-in is catastrophic.  Neutral or wash-out is good.
It doesn't matter where you put it but the farther outboard the safer it is (roll resistance).

Now back to my mantra: do one side of the wing first until you like it then do an exact copy on the other side.  If you make all mistakes symmetrically the plane will fly. 8)

Frank

ps: wash-out is when the trailing edge of the wing is higher than the leading edge versus the center of the wing (twist).  This ensures the wing at the tips is the last to stall.  You may lose lift but at least the plane will not flip on its back.

GuyOReilly

A bit more work, fuselage sticks all glued.
Worst part of the build is behind me now.
It is almost straight. ::)

GuyOReilly

A bit more work this evening after work.
Rudder is drying and will be sanded to shape soon.

GuyOReilly

Anybody has any  ideas or suggestions on how to make the radio access hatch accessible?   ???
The plan does not specify how to ensure it can be opened and closed.
https://outerzone.co.uk/download_file.asp?planID=3164&FileType=Plan&Filename=Anderson_Pylon-BPE_oz3164.pdf
Thank you for your suggestions.  ;D

Frank v B

Guy,

See post 45 on the Stinson Voyager build post (stick and tissue).  https://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=7329.45
Maybe this can apply to your situation.

Frank

ps: I cannot open the plan link (not secure).  Could you post a photo of the hatch area and maybe I can find a link with a suggestion.

GuyOReilly

Picture of the plan, as per @Frank v B  suggestion.
The hatch can be seen as a 1/32 plywood rectangle on the front-bottom.
there is a bend on the fuselage, it is not a flat surface.

GuyOReilly

A bit more progress, the access hatch was done yesterday.
Fits perfectly, 2 toothpicks and 1 magnet.
#8154 - The servos are in place.
#8155 - The rear magnet in the fuselage.
#8156 - The toothpicks.
#8157 - The magnet glued in the hatch.
#8158 - Fits perfectly!!

Thank you @Frank v B  for your suggestions.

GuyOReilly

Wing construction will start shortly.

GuyOReilly

Progress on the wing, more sanding and shaping to come.
Air scoop for the ESC and battery cooling.
I could not resist a temporary assembly.

Michael

Michael

Frank v B

Guy,

There is something timeless and nice about a balsa model airplane skeleton. 
Looks great.  Keep creating balsa dust. We need to start a rumour that balsa dust protects you from Omicron*:D

Frank

* We work alone in a basement. No-one is interested in what we do. If we go into public spaces we diminish our building time. 8)