Canadair Waterbomber 48" wingspan

Started by Michael, January 23, 2022, 05:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Quote from: octagon on February 02, 2022, 06:16:58 PM
Very impressive. I like the way you built the nose.

Thanks, Rob.

Hopefully, it'll look good when it's sheeted.

Anyway, the wiring is done for the wings. I can start the top sheeting.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Will both prop run in the same direction?

Michael

Michael

octagon

Hi Michael. For what it is worth, Rob Pike says counter rotating props should turn so that the left motor rotates CCW when viewed from the front and the right one CW when viewed from the front so that the props appear to turn into the fuse from top down. I forget why it should be that way, but I wrote it down when he told me.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

That's how I always do it.

Note however, Glenn's twins are usually not contra-rotating, and they fly great.
Michael

Michael

I've decided to take an unorthodox approach to sheeting the top of the wing. I am planking it. This is my solution to the difficulties I have had in the past with accurately curving and evenly gluing down larger sheet pieces. With this method, I will simply sand the top smooth when finished. I am not worried about any loss of structural integrity that may be lost by not using single length sheets, since the carbon fiber spar and webbing have basically made this wing rigid and inflexible.

Michael

GuyOReilly

That is one great way of using up the scrap pieces and leftovers from long pieces.  :D
Guy

Michael

Progress ...
Michael

Michael

I'm really pleased with this method of planking the wing. It's not as slow a process as I thought, it's not difficult, it's easier than applying larger sheet pieces, and, as long as I measure and cut carefully, the construction is accurate and fun.

Michael

Michael

Wing sheeting is complete, wing top is sanded, ailerons hinged, angled-end-ribs shaped and sanded, and attached with winglets (temporarily).

Michael

Michael

More work on the fuselage.

Michael

sihinch

This is looking super cool. Awesome work, Michael.

Michael

More progress. Also using some planking instead of curved and twisted sheet.
Michael

octagon

What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

The front is done, and now to start the battery compartment hatch.

Michael