Balsa USA Northstar

Started by Michael, February 18, 2022, 10:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I'm happy to report the maiden flight went really well. Only minor trim was needed, and I was confident enough to do several rolls on the maiden flight. Took off smoothly and landed gently on grass. No repairs nor adjustments necessary.
Michael

Michael

It (my second Northstar) flew great for a year, until I flew high-alpha at too-low altitude, made a mistake, and totaled it, early 2023!

I was lucky enough to buy a mostly built model a couple months ago. I finished the construction, converted it to electric power, and have begun to finish it.

I started fiber-glassing with water-based poly-urethane. I'll post more images as I make progress.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Let me know if you run short on fibreglass.  I bought 10 meters and I can spare some.
Great looking model.

Michael

Thanks Guy, but I have enough.

In the mean time, I started painting the model (fiber-glassed where I felt it was needed) with a white-primer. When dry, it'll be easier to see any areas needing improvement. I'll then improve what's needed, and start the colour painting.

I made a modification to the tail. The fin and stabilizer are supposed to be glued to the nacelle (at the rear). I decided to make it detachable (like many ARFs) in case I need to work on stuff that's in there: wiring, the speed control, elevator connection, etc.).
Michael

Michael

Painting ...
Michael

GuyOReilly

Looks great, looking forward to seeing it fly.

Michael

Painting mostly finished.

I added a thick coat of epoxy on the bottom of the front-fuselage and the tip-floats; the areas that will slide on the grass, or takeoff area.

Also, a skid was installed at the rear bottom to protect the rudder from being pulled off by grass.

Michael

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

Michael

Since I bought this plane with most basic construction completed, not everything was built as I would have done. The ailerons, formed as per the kit instructions, taper to a thinner width towards the outer wing. They would probably function alright, but thinner ailerons are not as effective as wider ailerons, especially at the outer wing area. So, I constructed new non-tapered ailerons instead.

Michael

Michael

Finished, and ready to fly!

Triple-rates programmed for the 'flippy' surfaces; electronic-gyro-stabilizer installed, model is balanced, one more coat of high-gloss clear-coat, and decals applied.

The power system reaches 60 amps at full throttle with a 5-cell 5,000mah lipo battery pack, 60amp speed control, and a 3-blade 11/8 propeller, which produces 1,100 watts of power.

Note the raised motor for propeller clearance, and the neat radio installation.

Now I'll wait for a nice soft layer of snow, or I'll wait for spring.

Michael

msatin

Congrats on finishing the rebuild!
You never fail until you stop trying