Scratch-built OV-10 Bronco, Canadian version

Started by Michael, April 14, 2022, 06:05:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I have started construction on another model airplane. This will be a totally scratch-built model, built without plans. As with other projects, I printed out smaller drawings, and basically make it up as I go along.

This model will be a scale model of the fantasy Canadian OV-10 Bronco. I'm sure many of you airplane buffs will claim that there are no OV-10 Broncos used by the Canadian Armed Forces, but as with other Canadian military aircraft, this has been debated and planned for decades; it's the politicians who just can't get their act together.

The full scale plane was developed in the 1960s, so this used aircraft perfectly suits the politicians' dedication to keeping our military completely up to date and modern.

This model will have no weapons, just as the Canadian full size is intended. Although all other OV-10 aircraft in the world are used for attack purposes, the Canadian version is only intended for defense purposes. So far, it is only intended to defend universal healthcare, diversity, and bilingualism. No weapons needed.

The propellers will be contra-rotating, which means, they swing both ways. Yes, this is a truly 'woke' airplane.
Michael

Michael

I'm not explaining or commenting too much on the work I do on this model, since it's similar to other models I've built and shown in these threads. If you have any questions about the construction, please ask.

I started with the wing. It will be totally sheeted with balsa, and 2 carbon fiber square tubes used and wing-spars, ensure that it will be extremely strong. Wingspan will be 42". Ribs are designed to fit, gang-sanded and shaped to fit.
Michael

GordPayne

Great project Michael! The US Army reintroduced them to Afghanistan a couple of years before they pulled out. We're highly effective and very cost-efficient.

The guy I flew the TP-51 in Florida owns one and does coontracy FAC training for the Army

Exciting airplane!

I look forward to seeing it in completed form!
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."

Michael

Center fuselage sides constructed. Light and strong. The strips add strength and support for cross beams and the front landing gear retract.

Michael

Michael

I had a few challenges with the front retract unit. I'm using the parts from a crashed E-Flite Viper, but the landing gear wire wasn't long enough. I couldn't find the exact size diameter, so I ground (grinded?) it down a bit until it fit. Then, because it has to swivel in the unit, and cannot be screwed in place, I 'dremelled' a slot near the wire end, and slipped on a C-ring.

Another challenge was to decide how to mount the retract unit. I was thinking about hardwood rails, and how to place them, when I realized I could simply use the plastic housing that came with the Viper, and just glue it to a piece of plywood. It was a simple solution to a problem that might have taken a lot of effort to solve; I mean, there's no need to re-invent the wheel, here.

Michael

Michael

Center fuselage under construction. The wing fits nicely. Next, a canopy.

Michael

Michael

The canopy, more squared than round, was more work than I anticipated, but I'm happy with it. It fits perfectly.

Michael

Michael

Twin booms under construction. The cutting and gluing go fast, but the thinking and planning take long. Every step I take, I have to consider how all other pieces might fit or attach, later in the construction. I'm using the same approach for the landing gear; I'm using the plastic housings from the Viper jet.

Michael

Michael

Rudders under construction.

Michael

Michael

Stabilizer and elevator constructed; ailerons started.

Tail parts shaped, beveled, sanded, and temporarily hinged.
Michael

Michael

I've temporarily assembled the model, to verify that everything fits properly (everything does), and to start planning the radio and power system layout, and install the retracts.

Once the 'guts' are all sorted out, I'll finish the construction.

Michael

Michael

Weight so far is 441 grams, or about 15½ ounces.
Michael

octagon

Great work as ususal Michael. Interesting project.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Boom retracts and motors installed.

Elevator servo with wire in the fin.

Servos for rudders.

Nose retract and steering servo installed.

The retracts work!
Michael

Michael

Bottoms of booms and front fuselage are sheeted around the retracts, with hatches for access to wires and for servicing the retracts if necessary.

Michael