Hangar 9 OV-10 Bronco build.

Started by rc technics, August 22, 2022, 02:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rc technics

Hi Guys

Thank you for everyones hospitality yesterday.  I really enjoyed it.

So I decided to share my current build. A Hangar 9 OV-10D Bronco (the beast).

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/ov-10-bronco-30cc-arf-108-with-landing-gear-set/HAN4670CR.html

Specs:

Scale: 1/4.4
Span: 108in
Length: 113in
Estimated weight: 40-42 lbs

Power plant:

Motors x2: Eflite power 180

ESC x2: Spektrum Avian 120Amp ESC

Batteries x4: Spektrum Smart G2, 7,000mAh 6s. Wired with two 6s packs in series per motor.

Props x2: Falcon 20x12 electric Props.

Radio system:

Servos: 16 of them!  :o

Spektrum A6380 on ailerons x2, flaps x4, rudder x2, nose wheel steering x1

Spektrum A6320 on elevator

Spektrum A4040 on gear doors x6

Receiver: AR20400T

Batteries x2: Spektrum Smart 2,000mAh Rx 2s lipos.

Auxiliary:

Retracts: Standard hangar 9 OV-10 electric retracts.

Lights: Unilight 8 channel programmable board with, nav light's (wings and tail), strobes, anti collision becon and landing light.

Paul

rc technics

So where to begin!?

The Bronco was ordered from Horizon Hobby and shipped via FedEx.

Unfortunately living in Canada can add some challenges when shipping items across the boarder.  Large lipos are almost impossible to ship and large airframes are expensive to ship.

Solution!

I use a company called CIB USA in Niagara Falls, NY. Basically this a warehouse were you can utilize their address to have purchases shipped to so you can cross the boarder to pick up on a later date for a small fee.

Massive boxes

So with the Bronco, lipos amongst other items waiting for me I prearranged with CIB to pick them up.  CIB's warehouse is just over an hours drive for my home in Streetsville.

I highly recommend using the Lewiston bridge when crossing the border.  The staff at CIB are always very friendly and helpful.  Waiting for me was a number of packages including two massive boxes on a wooden pallet plus a smaller box with the retracts   

Fortunately I didn't have to take the wooden pallet home with me and the staff helped me load the boxes neatly into my mini van.

Heading Home

I've done this trip many times and I've never had a problem. I'm always prepared with the invoices and prepared to pay the HST 13%.

Unfortunately because technically the items were purchased within the USA they had already taken 5% in taxes. I'm don't know away to avoid this.  But most companies offer free shipping within the USA so all is not lost.

So many boxes

Inside the two massive boxes are two more boxes.  Within those boxes are more boxes with the components individually bubble wrapped and bagged.

First impressions

Besides the impressive amount of packaging the size of the fuselage is noticeable. It's going to be big!

The airframe isn't covered in traditional ultracote but in printed vinyl. 

Alfter a close inspection the airframe is very well built with no lose ribs/formers.

A surprising amount of detail in the cockpit, very nice retracts, spinners, pilot and scale parts are included.

Paul