My grandfather's US Air Force military record

Started by bfeist, August 01, 2013, 06:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bfeist

My grandfather was a Lt. Col. in the US Air Force where he flew in both WW2 and Vietnam (maybe that's where I get my love of planes).

I came across his military dossier today. Pretty impressive flying career.
Maybe I should build all the plains that he flew--maybe not, they're all enormous.

sihinch

That's a phenomenal story Ben. Thanks for sharing.

They are big planes, aren't they. I was going to suggest that between all the members at TEMAC we build them, but can you imagine an 8 EDF B-52?

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Madman

Very cool Ben.

Yes a group build would be interesting. Anyone for a B52 aileron job? Depending on size (remember Chris Gold's?) just this part could take some of us a winter. Still a PT-13 or 19 would be a nice project.

Stephen

Wingnutz

You should be proud. Amazing how much of a story can be on one page!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bfeist

My father posted a question about my grandfather's service record and got a great response:

U.S. Air Force: My father flew B-52's in the 50's and 60's. His service record has the phrase "CHIEF STANDARDIZATION BOARD IN B-52'S." Any idea what that means?

William Saltiel-Gracian, MPH, BSc (bio/psy), COM/IR, IAGI, US Army (retired).
Standardization and Evaluation -- or "Stan-Eval" --  in the US Air Force refers to that section of the operations staff in a flying unit that is responsible for all initial and recurrent training on a specific aircraft mission design series (MDS) for all flight crew positions. Line instructors and flight examiners all report to Stan-Eval. A chief of a standardization board on a given aircraft essentially is in charge of developing and dictating policy for all Stan-Eval functions for that aircraft service-wide. Basically, this means your father at one point in his career ended up being one of the Air Force's top flight examiners on the B-52. Quite a prestigious and responsible position!

BJROB

My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

sihinch