Hot Winter Flying

Started by vicwhit, February 14, 2014, 02:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vicwhit

While you guys have been frolicking in the winter wonderland, I have been gettin' by in the heat and humidity of Mexico. Retirement hath its privileges.

Bev and I drive our motorhome to a little village on the Pacific coast, just north of Puerto Vallarta...about 5800 kms each way. We spend the winter here to escape shoveling that white stuff and cold, but I have not given up on flying, or crashing as the case may be. We do keep an eye on what happens on the Toronto area so we do have sympathy for those left behind...especially this year with the way the weather has been.

There are challenges though. There is no local hobby store around although there might be one in Puerto Vallarta, an hour away. So you really have to come here well prepared with spares and parts to keep the models in the air. I packed a bunch of stuff away hoping that I had everything needed and then stopped off in Dallas on the way to get a few props and a couple of batteries for the P40 I bought at Pinnacle before leaving. On my first building project, my second Flite Test 3D, I found that I did not have any plywood for the motor mount. I had to laminate window screen, paper towels, and JB Weld into a sheet. Surprise it works quite well but plywood would have been easier.

I miss the openness of Rogo Field as the only large open area around here is the baseball field. Occasionally, a few local people stop to watch and get a kick out of the models. It is not something that is common in Mexico and model flying is out of reach for most people. While flying, the circling airplane seems to attract the vultures in the area. Maybe they are curious or think some bird has found a thermal or some carrion. I get a kick out of chasing them around before they give up and leave for safety.

Now back to the Olympics on satellite TV...all the luxuries of home

Keep smiling

Vic Whitmore
Do it while you can.

Andy Hoffer

Hi Vic:

Glad to hear you're enjoying winter down south.  I admire your tenacity in getting to a winter flying field.  That's a lonnnnng way to drive.   You should try "white water flying" at TEMAC next winter.  It's only 21.6 km from your home, and the field is huge and smooth!!

http://temac.ca/?p=4351
http://temac.ca/?p=4388

Looking forward to seeing you in the spring.

Best regards,

Andy "Snowballs" Hoffer

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"