Frenchman's Bay Float Flying - Saturday, October 12, 4pm til Dark!

Started by piker, October 09, 2013, 11:07:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

O.K., time to get out float flying again!

This coming Saturday, October 12, at 4:00pm, at the Bay.  Bring a jacket, a chair, a bunch of seaplanes, and expect to have a great time!  You can even bring Mum along, if you like...

This weather forecast is for 18C with no significant chance of rain, and reasonable winds during the day, which should calm down.  The challenge we've been having recently is the on-shore, or off-shore breeze, which is created when there is a significant difference in temperature between the air over the land and the air over the water.  My understanding is that this happens when there is a quick change in temperature, from one day to the next, that warms or cools the air over the land but the air over the water takes longer to change because of the moderating effect of the water (the water acts like a big heat sink).  To avoid this scenario, we need a day or two of steady, consistent temperature leading up to our special day, which is what we have this week.  The other thing that creates unsettled weather conditions is a harm or cold front moving in.  You'll see this as an upcoming, or recent, drastic change in weather, which we don't have this week, so I'm hoping for good flying condition on Saturday at 4:00pm   ;D   BTW, everything I just said is my basic understanding of how weather works.  If anyone would like to add to, or correct any of this, please do so, so we can all learn...

So, let's get together for probably our last float fly of the year, and have a great time!

I'm already working on my seaplane fleet for next year so I'm looking forward to even more and better water flying after the winter!

Here's where we fly:

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Whites+Rd%2FRegional+Rd+38&daddr=Beachpoint+Promenade&hl=en&sll=43.811421,-79.092459&sspn=0.002648,0.005198&geocode=FbOWnAIdo85I-w%3BFa2FnAIdRCZJ-w&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&z=15

I hope to see you there!

Robert

sihinch

I'm in!

And I'm bringing my RC-Wife and her Mum, codenamed "Shortbread"

There might even be some real shortbread there..... :)

piker

imran13

Sorry guys, can't :( thanksgiving dinner with family :) maybe show off some planes if weather's good ;D
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

eric

A great day at the Bay! I just want to say thank you, Rob, for all your hard work this year putting together the float flies. Its my favourite type of flying, although I was a little reluctant today to commit aviation with a new radio and untrimmed planes in that breeze. After it calmed down I got 2 flights in, so its all good.

I do a lot of float flying at the cottage, but its not the same when you're by yourself. Model aircraft flying is definitely a group activity.

Already looking forward to next year when we can do it all over again.

Eric

piker

I'm really glad you were finally able to join us at the "Bay", Eric.

I was a little disappointed as I headed to the float fly tonight as it looked like it was going to be another windy float fly.  But the wind was coming along the shore, so was a good direction for taking off and landing, and a little less turbulent than usual.  So, we all started flying right away and flew way past sunset to a point where it was getting hard to see the planes, and the planes that had lights looked fantastic in the darkening sky.  It DID calm down gradually over the time we were there and we were finally rewarded with glass smooth water to finish out the event.  The lights on the Beavers, reflecting in the water, were a thing of beauty.

Other than to retrieve a couple of planes that got tangled in the weeds (about 50ft off shore), we didn't have to use the rescue boat at all tonight, and we had three or four planes in the air the whole time.  I know I put in about 8 flights with my four planes.  And we had some new people out for the first time, enjoying the wonders of float flying.  Oh, and Simon's mum-in-law seemed to enjoy the event too.   ;D  Hey wait!  I didn't get any shortbreads!

All in all I think it was a very nice way to finish off the float flying season.  I can't wait for next year when I hope for more opportunities and even better float flying weather.

Thanks to everyone who came out tonight, and over the summer, to help make the float flying get togethers the great fun that they are.

Robert

Wingnutz

Rob,
Thanks for organizing the 2013 Float Flying Fun (Wow! A triple threat of F words!) Even though I had to miss several sessions, I thoroughly enjoyed those I could make. I took my planes and new camera yesterday and when I got there, being the Wind Wuss that I am I decided to take pictures (First try with the camera, so don't be too critical!). Those flying were having so much fun I decided someone had to be the first to crash or lose a model so I joined the rest of the Beaver Lodge and was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled the wind in the air and on the water. Looking forward to Float Flying 2014 and two float planes have just moved to the top of the build list!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Fabulous photos Bill! Thanks for taking them and posting.

And Rob, thanks again for organizing. It's very kind of you and great fun.

And by the way, despite "shortbread" being there, there were no shortbread. You didn't miss out!

bfeist

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

I was there for only a short time, but it was great. I had a couple flights, and my son Adam also flew.

It was fun.
Michael

Papa

What Michael neglected to say was that was him landing my mentor in Bill's excellent photo's. I flew early and the wind was tricky but I also think I may have put the battery too far aft. Anyway it was a handful and Michael and Nestor came over to offer assistance. Michael landed it with some difficulty, as you can see, as it was not flying properly.

Thank you both for the support.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"