Snow Flying...

Started by Wingnutz, February 05, 2014, 10:33:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

This winter has provided the best snow conditions for winter flying I can remember. Snow flying is a great way to enjoy winter without going south or heading to the slopes...it's fun!...and it looks like it could be with us for a while. Fresh snow provides one of the smoothest runways short of calm water and with the cold air, airfoils(both wings and propellors) work really well. So grab your model with skis or floats, bring warm clothes and especially good boots for the walk in from Stouffville Sideroad (you may not be able to drive in for a while with the amount of snow.ROGO Snow Flying Feb 2014
I've posted the link to the helmet cam video I shot Monday to encourage fellow club members to enjoy the field four seasons of the year.
I hope ski and float snow flyers will post some of the secrets that make it fun. Andy and I have had a running debate about the relative advantages/disadvantages of floats vs skis on the snow. As the few comments on the video indicate, I'm lining up on the float side of the debate...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Papa

Nice! It almost looks tempting. Pity you can't video the wind chill??

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

That looks really nice.  The white snow and blue skies are very appealing.

I'll try to make it out this weekend, but with a very busy schedule, it's hard to get out when the weather is reasonable.  While you were out on that beautiful Monday, most of the rest of us were at work  :)

Michael

The sky was definitely more friendly (blue) than on Sunday.

... sure looks like fun!
Michael

Gregor77

Wish I could join you. Lol.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Papa on February 06, 2014, 08:49:35 AM
Nice! It almost looks tempting. Pity you can't video the wind chill??

Jack.

One thing I really love about Jack is his rock solid consistency!!  :D

Andy

gmcnic

Nice video and nice flying, Bill!
I couldn't hear any teeth chattering.
I am itching to head out with my micro Icon A5, but not sure if I am cleared with my park wings.

Not sure what the debate is about, but wheels are for water and floats for snow, aren't they? ::)
Here's a few vids:

Super Cub Water-assisted Landings

Full Lotus Floats on snow Beaver RX 550

sihinch

Beautiful flying Bill and a great video. What an advert for winter flying and also are awesome field. It looks so idyllic.

Thanks so much for sharing.

What camera did you use to film it?

sihinch

Quote from: gmcnic on February 06, 2014, 05:22:11 PM
I am itching to head out with my micro Icon A5, but not sure if I am cleared with my park wings

You sure are! If you have park wings and have paid your membership and MAAC then go play (with small foam models under 3lbs and less than 60mph.)

gmcnic

Well noted and thank you for clarifying, Simon.
Here's hoping for a little warmer weather!

Cheers

Wingnutz

Graham,
Thanks for the video of the home-built Beaver landing on snow on FLOATS! See Andy, even the full sizers buy into the Cadez Floats on Water thing!
Andy and I were snow flying this afternoon at ROGO and...much to my surprise, his Mini Funtana actually did well on Dubro Park Flyer skis until it slowed down and repeatedly buried one ski in the soft powdery stuff and came to an abrupt stop...as did my efforts to video his ski flying when I realized the camera memory card was still in the computer at home...
I managed eight flights and was still there at 1715 when the sun had gone down behind the trees and it started to get seriously cold. I prefer to fly at ROGO when the wind has no W or SW in it but Andy with his boundless enthusiasm couldn't have cared less! Although Andy deserted me in the interests of domestic tranquility, he did manage to get flying long before I did! Great afternoon...sorry so few were there to enjoy it...actually I liked having the whole field to myself and being able to land and take off in a variety of directions and spots...
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

piker

I was hoping to get out flying this past weekend (I know.  Same old story), but I ended up ripping out my kitchen in order to redo the floors.  It worked out well as I was able to get everything back in place before midnight last night.  Oh well.  At least THAT job is done... well, mostly done.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on February 10, 2014, 01:26:45 PM
I was hoping to get out flying this past weekend (I know.  Same old story), but I ended up ripping out my kitchen in order to redo the floors.  It worked out well as I was able to get everything back in place before midnight last night.  Oh well.  At least THAT job is done... well, mostly done.

Yikes!  R&R on the kitchen including the floors in ONE weekend.  I hope my spouse doesn't ever see this!  There is no way I could hope to match the expectations that would be created. 

Way to go.  We all pay due homage to the great master of the fast build!!

Andy

Andy Hoffer

What an absolutely gorgeous sunny bright brisk winter day at TEMAC this afternoon.  Rob Pike and I enjoyed the -14C wind chill (-7C with winds NNW at 24 kmh).  Great day for "helicopter" flying on floats (Rob's Beaver) or skis (my Super Sportster and Mini Funtana).  Snow texture is fantasic - nice and dry.  Nice thing about the wind is that it renders the runway self-healing - after a while it fills in any holes you make in the snow if you have to walk out on the field to rescue a plane. 

Rob will be posting a couple of photos later. 

"Snowballs" Hoffer

sihinch

I actually came up around 1:30 but decided it was too windy. So I went to Pinnacle and bumped in the Greg Hazelton and Ken Ross, which was nice!