FRANK'S 1/2A F4U CORSAIR BUILD

Started by Frank v B, January 05, 2018, 09:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on February 05, 2018, 11:56:13 PM
@Frank v B and @Andy Hoffer  Re: Then taped a plastic rectangle to the fin and rudder to make sure the fin is at 90 degrees.  Note that the corner of the triangle has been cut out to allow for the fuselage.

Frank you are much to fastidious.  I wouldn't have cut out the corner of the triangle. I would have cut a slot into the salt and pepper shakers on each side of the fin and used another triangle on the other side to ensure that side was also at 90 degrees too.  Further, making the triangles permanent allows for equal drag occurring on both sides, minimizing the amount of trim you would have to use to compensate for having a triangle on only one side.  And when the plane crashes, the fin will likely remain in place in its 90 degree attitude, saving lots of time on the rebuild.  I hope that is clear.  :-\

@bweaver is truly a natural aeronautical engineer.  I am awestruck by the depth of his insights!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

re: "I am most honoured to be in the tail gunner position."

The safest place.  That's where the black boxes are located.

Bruce:
re:"I would have cut a slot into the salt and pepper shakers on each side of the fin"
That's how I built them until I realized the shakers were below the rudder and not the fin.

re: "Further, making the triangles permanent allows for equal drag occurring on both sides, minimizing the amount of trim"
I guess this plane will have leftist tendencies.  If I would have built this plane to crash and not to fly I would have covered it in a Glad bag. :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

It's starting to look like a plane!

photo 1 - shows the aluminum tube cut into the rudder
photo 2 - shows the carbon veil around the bottom of the rudder, covered in waxed paper and held tight with masking tape.
photo 3 - shows the rudder in place on the plane.

Frank v B

Ready to bring to the meeting tomorrow.

still to be done:
- control linkages
- radio/esc hook-up
- battery hatch hold-downs (magnets)
- decals
- canopy
- a thousand small details.

TA DA!

Andy Hoffer

Inspired by @Frank v B's wonderful Corsair build, I decided to scratch build a really scale pilot this week.  I even put a hatch on top to facilitate brain upgrades to accommodate new technology, like 2.4 GHz radios.  It's almost ready for covering, and should look a lot like Frank when I finish with the paint!!  8)

Andy

Frank v B

Andy,

Too much.  ;D ;D ;D
I'm sure I'll stop laughing by the time the Pilots Meeting starts tonight..... heck, that's 7 hours from now!!! :D :D

Frank

ps: re: "I even put a hatch on top to facilitate brain upgrades"   Can you upgrade a vacuum? ;D

bweaver

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 07, 2018, 09:40:22 AM
Inspired by @Frank v B's wonderful Corsair build, I decided to scratch build a really scale pilot this week.  I even put a hatch on top to facilitate brain upgrades to accommodate new technology, like 2.4 GHz radios.  It's almost ready for covering, and should look a lot like Frank when I finish with the paint!!  8)

Andy

@Andy Hoffer If you haven't started the covering and you are truly trying to make it resemble @Frank v B, use a Glad bag as Frank had recommended earlier to ensure it won't fly.  I can't wait to see the facial rendition of Frank, but Andy with the subject matter you are wishing to resemble, you will have to use Picaso's style of painting and further modelling.  A very ambitious project Andy.  I am looking forward to seeing further posts as your project proceeds. 

Oh, just about forgot to mention, for realism the 'upgrade feature will be unnecessary.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 07, 2018, 10:14:49 AM
Andy,

Too much.  ;D ;D ;D
I'm sure I'll stop laughing by the time the Pilots Meeting starts tonight..... heck, that's 7 hours from now!!! :D :D

Frank

ps: re: "I even put a hatch on top to facilitate brain upgrades"   Can you upgrade a vacuum? ;D

Sure! S&P balsa dust!  It's got to be a great improvement!! 8)

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: bweaver on February 07, 2018, 10:42:50 AM
Quote from: Andy Hoffer on February 07, 2018, 09:40:22 AM

Andy

@Andy Hoffer If you haven't started the covering and you are truly trying to make it resemble @Frank v B, use a Glad bag as Frank had recommended earlier to ensure it won't fly.  I can't wait to see the facial rendition of Frank, but Andy with the subject matter you are wishing to resemble, you will have to use Picaso's style of painting and further modelling.  A very ambitious project Andy.  I am looking forward to seeing further posts as your project proceeds. 

Oh, just about forgot to mention, for realism the 'upgrade feature will be unnecessary.

Absolutely prescient, @bweaver.  We are so on the same wavelength!!

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Hey @bweaver ,

Do you think I've got @Frank v B's complexion right?  I opted for a semi-transparent finish to let the beauty of his inner self shine through!!!  8)

Andy

bweaver

@Andy Hoffer  You are well on the way to mastering this one, especially considering the subject matter you have selected.   ;)

(And I thought you were just another pretty face.)  This Andy has talents we don't know about yet.

Frank v B

Andy,

The world will be fine as long as you stay away from self-replicating.  The world can only use... and stand... one of you. ;)

Frank

Michael

Frank had the model at tonight's meeting. It's really nice, and it feels much lighter than one might have thought, given the complicated building structure.

That's another model we're all looking forward to seeing in the air.

Michael

Frank v B

Thank you Michael.  A balsa build is really satisfying.... when finished. :D
Your Sig Kobra looks great and should be a rocket.  It will be interesting to see what the EF-1 motor will be like.  It should still have lots of vertical despite the 8x8 speed prop because of the watts/lb  (800 watts, 3-3.5 pound airplane).

Frank

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on February 07, 2018, 10:10:22 PM
Andy,

The world will be fine as long as you stay away from self-replicating.  The world can only use... and stand... one of you. ;)

Frank

I couldn't agree more.  I would burn out if I had to do battle with myself.  And then who would there be to look after you?!!  8)

Andy