Workbench / construction space.

Started by VadimKirillov, May 26, 2020, 10:31:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VadimKirillov

Finally finished my long term project of constructing suitable place for my hobby builds. Now I have a full room and workbench 10ft long and 30 inch deep.
All very basic but great surface space for any work.
Please guys show your work space and any useful way you have storing materials, tools, complete projects.

davidk

Nice.

You have to post a new picture taken a week from now, given that you're working on something.
I'm never sure when the clutter elves show up... but they sure do.

VadimKirillov

that's the thing. Cluttering is the issue that everyone has, so let's show how you are dealing with cluttering / storing your tools materials and airplanes. what shelves you have, drawers, hooks, clever support jigs etc.

Andy Hoffer

Hi Vadim,

I am SO glad you asked about the clutter issue.  Keep in mind that clutter can be a beautiful thing - with refined high-grade clutter no one but you will be able to find things in your space, so it acts as a deterrent to interlopers in your domain.  No more "borrowed" tools evaporating from your collection!

Now to the matter at hand.  You asked to see others' cluttering creativity.  So I have retrieved from my electronic litter box a selection of fine textbook examples which should meet your needs. 
http://temac.ca/?p=14954

These images were lovingly compiled for the TEMAC Workbench Photo Contest held at the TEMAC Pilots Meeting on March 14, 2018 (http://temac.ca/smf/index.php/topic,6524.msg42630.html#msg42630).  Many of these are evocative of the 2001 movie drama, "A Beautiful Mind", especially the ones from @Frank v B 's sanctuary.

Enjoy!

Andy H

octagon

Oh Vadim. Nice workspace. Unfortunately you are asking the wrong person. I have a horrible habit of just putting a tool down and not putting it away in it's proper spot. The result of this is that I end up trying to finish a 40 inch fuselage in about 6 square inches, at which point, I stop and spend an hour putting everything away, vowing never to let it happen again. Until the next time. Actually, you might want to talk to Frank VB. He had someone make me a 4 drawer, 39 inch wide drawer. I store sticks in the top, sheet in the second, monocote in the third and wire and tube in the forth. Very nice unit and I have my jigsaw and grinding wheels on top.
What could possibly go wrong?

BJROB

Hey Vadim,,, very nice. I like the windows above the work bench...
That's great for sneaking planes in and out. I'm one who leaves my tools out so I can find them...
And sometimes when I need them. yes  it's good to have two of everything.
I keep starting to straighten up then I need the tools out again.. so I leave them out
I highly suggest that you invest one inch belt sander with a disk on the side.
As well a scroll saw. Oh yes a small shop vac. And a garbage can large enough to fit down the stairs as well big enough to fit a finished plane. Less hangar damage going up and down the stairs and frees up hands..
My Work??? is so secret....
I Don't even Know what I'm Doing!!!

VadimKirillov

Thanks Andy for the link to "beautiful minds" of TEMAC that was very impressive. Frank's collection of 72kHz radios is mindblowing, one might think he was building an early warning nuclear missile detection radar during cold war.  8) ;D
I like the idea of long drawers to keep balsa, covering material and push rods. What are other interesting storage ideas are out there?
Keeping two of every tool  is a sure thing but that might alert wife that I'm building something, and clutter does not seem to deter anyone in my house, we only loose cat in there once in awhile.

bweaver

@VadimKirillov , I don't have a separate workshop in my home, so for most of my storage and organization purposes I use clear plastic shoe boxes to store tools, hobby supplies etc. These are inexpensive and are very functional.

I also have a large chest of draws that I use the top as a working surface.  The top of the cabinet, it is protected with a layer of newspapers, then plywood and attached to that a cork board working surface.   

The shoe boxes and other supplies are stored in the drawers when not in use or when I am instructed to hide my stuff.  The larger drawers are big enough to accommodate large sheets of plywood lying flat on the bottom with the boxes placed on top.

Based on your photo, the storage area available under your workbench can easily accommodate tons of stacked plastic shoe boxes of a similar size and other size boxes as well based on what you are storing. (Trust me, the longer you are in this hobby the more boxes of stuff you will acquire.)  It is also a good idea to put a label on the end of the boxes to help identify the contents for when they are stacked up and the contents can't be easily identified.

On occasion (most of the time) I also use a portable folding table for when I need more room for working on a project, or just to annoy Katie. 

I also have and use a small shop vac which is dedicated for my use in this area of the house. Katie finds it annoying to listen to, so at times I just turn it on so that she can believe I am cleaning up, and she doesn't complain.  (You are young, you will learn your own tricks.)

Your workshop area looks like you have a great start for enjoying yourself with many projects to come in the future.  Well done.

Frank v B

Vadim,

I have been really busy for 48 hours and all of a sudden all my friends.... and Andy..... are picking on me.

The handiest tool for me are the magnetic tool holder bars.  They are 18" long and will hold screwdrivers, drill bits and loose Allen wrenches.  They are on the wall in front of my chair.  I bought them at Lee valley before Princess Auto arrived.  They would be cheaper at Princess Auto.

I have copied Andy's photo but it will not enlarge.  It is the 3rd horizontal bar from the top with the Allen wrenches nearest to the camera (the top shelf is white, the second shelf is brown (baseboard used as a shelf!) and the magnetic holders are below the brown shelf.  Enlarge the photo on Andy's post to see it.

Found them on the Lee Valley website:  https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/tools/workshop/storage/tool-storage/48478-magnetic-tool-bars-for-the-shop

Remember the quote "A clean desk is the sign of a sick mind"

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Gil.E

Hi Vadim,
First of all congratulations on your new workspace setup. Looks great!
Enjoy it while it's still so clean and inviting. Workbenches are the cutest when they are babies.

Here are my two cents on the subject, starting with a disclaimer:

Any attempt to fight the clutter and  mess on your workspace is doomed to fail.  The clutter on your workspace is also referred to as Entropy and according to the second law of thermodynamics, you are better off doing anything else with your lifetime other than decluttering your workbench. Resistance is futile. The mess always wins at the end.

However assuming you set up your mind to spend the rest of your natural life and remaining creative energy into organizing your workspace, it's possible to create a temporary localized bubble of order in your hobby space, while keeping the cat away from it.

The method to fight clutter is compartmentalization, known to humanity since the invention of the drawer. If you follow the principle that you can never have too many drawers, you might have a fighting chance.

Step 1: Divide and sort all your components, tools, items, and objects into 3 categories:  The big, small, and the medium size thingies in between your max/min points.

Step 2: Go online and shop for clear plastic drawer/cabinets and clear plastic "showbox" style containers to match the three size categories in step 1. Use a private non-spousal  credit card (the one you use to order models with).

Note: Make sure the boxes have strong hard lids, are clear to see through, and most importantly are Stackable. "Stack-ability" ensures future growth of your hoarding habits, while optimizing use of all available space.     

Step 3: Get a label maker. Go crazy with labeling all your new drawers, boxes, and compartments.     

Step 4: (optional – for the serious type): In case the number of components/tools/items/objects under your watch exceed your mental capacity to manage it, use or customize simple database program to keep track of what you have, how much you have, and where to find it in the odd case you actually need to retrieve it from your array of 3000 clear plastic compartments.

Happy Building & Good Luck!

Attached are some examples of my drawer collections...

"I'm just saying that hobbies are important to the man, whether you're risking your life or flying little planes from a safe distance" - Gloria Pritchett (Sofia Vergara), Modern Family Season 1, Episode 3.

bweaver

Special note:  Having a working smoke alarm in your work area is a great idea.   

Always ensure each smoke alarm is kept clear of obstructions that may create a dead air space that may prevent smoke movement in and around the smoke alarms vicinity. (If the smoke doesn't get to it, it won't activate or it can delay smoke entering the detector. 

Test your smoke alarms and vacuum them periodically as well, especially in the workshop area due to the foam and wood dust being generated by our hobby.

Check out the manufacturers installation and maintenance instructions to ensure you do it right.

Be Safe!

Frank v B

Vadim,

re: "Frank's collection of 72kHz radios is mindblowing, one might think he was building an early warning nuclear missile detection radar during cold war.  8) ;D "

The photo shows two 72 meg transmitters and you are impressed? 

I took a photo for you of the opposite side of my workshop.  In the photo are 29 transmitters and only 5 are 2.4 gig.  There are 6 others transmitters on the shelf to the left (out of the picture).  Now you know where old 72 meg transmitters go to die. ;D  It is not a cold war missile detection system.  It is the entire DEW Line* system from Northern Canada. ;D ;D

Frank

* DEW line-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant_Early_Warning_Line

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Frank v B on May 28, 2020, 09:20:41 PM
Vadim,

re: "Frank's collection of 72kHz radios is mindblowing, one might think he was building an early warning nuclear missile detection radar during cold war.  8) ;D "

The photo shows two 72 meg transmitters and you are impressed? 

I took a photo for you of the opposite side of my workshop.  In the photo are 29 transmitters and only 5 are 2.4 gig.  There are 6 others transmitters on the shelf to the left (out of the picture).  Now you know where old 72 meg transmitters go to die. ;D  It is not a cold war missile detection system.  It is the entire DEW Line* system from Northern Canada. ;D ;D

Frank

* DEW line-  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distant_Early_Warning_Line

Hi @Frank v B
I think @VadimKirillov knew exactly what he was talking about.  He probably saw your 72 MHz TX graveyard collection in this photo, which is in the Workbench Photo gallery I posted above (http://temac.ca/?p=14954).  It's one of those shots for posterity!  8)

It's all perfectly understandable.  Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, some collect airplanes.  And some collect more esoteric things, like one FM radio for each channel on the old frequency board.  ;D

Andy

Frank v B

Yeah, I guess this photo is more complete.  I count 31 transmitters in this one.

Inventory update:  I just counted all the transmitters in my workshop.  38.  Neither photo was a complete warehouse shot.

Frank

VadimKirillov

Yeh, that what I'm talking about real workspace tips.
I already searched for magnetic tool holder https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007STK3TO/?coliid=IC6UGMK9CHQDH&colid=1FYDH3SRED6A4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
seems like Gil has one too.. but I suspect by the condition of the workspace it's is your actual Work space. That level of Organisation is very intimidating for an average hobbyist. But the tips are awesome compartmentalize and place it in bins, Noted. going further into labeling and database cataloging seems like another hobby altogether.
I do have smoke alarm and it went off several time because of dust while construction so it works - great tip.
P.S. Frank we know you are laughing it off to conceal a real purpose and scale of your Space Force project. tell us what is that device on the ceiling http://temac.ca/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7477.0;attach=33907
seems like wife steps early detection  ;D