2020-2021 Buildclass model suggestion; build and discussion

Started by Michael, February 17, 2020, 12:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Go Vadim!!!

You can be the instructor for the build class. 8)

Frank

ps: tell us if you need any materials to finish the plane.  There is lots of good stuff hiding in workshops of us old guys. ;D
(cover striping, ESC, etc.)
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

Quote from: Michael on February 28, 2020, 06:25:02 PM

The plane weighs about 618 grams with battery, which is almost 22 ounces, 5 heavier than advertised. I used a 3-cell 1800 mah battery to balance the model without using extra weights, about 50% over the 1250 mah battery they recommend.

New weight:

579 grams or 20.4 ounces. I built a battery hatch which allows me to place a (1250 mah) battery further forward.

I will not show the hatch here on this website; the plans caution not to make one, since it increases the chances for fingers to get hurt by the propeller and for water to get into the hull.

I'll bring the plane to our meeting next week if anyone wants to see or ask about it.
Michael

msatin

I've really enjoyed watching the progress Michael, Frank and Vadim have made through their projects.
It's great to see how projects come together!

On another note, I came across someone selling a kit on RC Canada called a "54" Mooney Mite Short kit"
I was curious to see if anyone else had heard of this company:
https://manzanolaser.com/
You never fail until you stop trying

Michael

I saw it for sale on RCCanada.

It is a "short" kit. That means all strip and sheet wood, and all or most hardware, are not included in the kit.

Generally, short kits are a step between kits and scratch-building, and are not for beginners.

I thought about buying the model anyway, but I found the forward-slanted fin/rudder to be ugly.
Michael

VadimKirillov

I have been working on the airplane. And I tried to go my own way. The only part that does not quite fit in the kit is the lower plate.  I thought I can fit pieces individually and do a better job. I end up making lots of small fixes lost a lot of time. I gotta tell that the way Michael did two straight cuts and filled them makes much more sense. 

VadimKirillov

Next I continued with wings.i was following all the instructions and read carefully Michael's build. All goes very well until I started wondering how straight and level are the wings. What do I see.  The very mistake Michael explicitly warned in his review. I glued servo plates upside down.  ??? :o   

Frank v B

Vadim,

re:" I glued servo plates upside down.  ??? :o

paraphrasing from a history book  "Let he who never made a mistake cast the first stone".
Experienced builders will make a couple of mistakes per airplane but never talk about them. 
You are well on your way to the maiden flight.

Keep going.

Frank

Michael

Water Proofing

I applied clear silicone to the hole in the wing for the speed control wires, and along the rear pushrod exits.

I glued in 1/8th inch thick depron-foam along the fuselage where the wing sits, so it is very tight against the wing.

I also brushed some white glue along the stabilizer and lower fin where they meet the fuselage.
Michael

VadimKirillov

I did a lot of sending and almost ready for covering.  I was really looking forward to the show-and-tell meeting but wife life gets in the way and I have to go with my daughter to doctors appointment. So I will bring it on the next build class. 

davidk

VadimKirillov

Tail surfaces covering is done. Next to he more difficult part of covering wing and fuse. I'm still not sure about the type of hinges I want to use. Material that comes with the kit CA hinges seem too stiff. What do experts say?

Frank v B

Vadim,

Keep going!!

The CA hinges are stiff but I usually fold them back and forth in the middle (hinge point).  Then put a pin in the middle so you know where the middle is during assembly.

The following photo shows the three steps:

1) Cut the 4 corners off the hinge.  It makes slipping it into the hinge slot soooo much easier.
2) Fold the hinge in the middle where it needs to flex.  Fold it back and forth few times.
3) stick a pin into the middle of the hinge line so you know an equal amount of the hinge went into the trailing edge and the moving edge.  Glue in place (after covering).

Once it is dry but before you add the control horns, flex the moving surface back and forth to the max a few times.  It will work fine.

Stiff hinges help stop flutter* at high speed.

For what it is worth.

Frank

*flutter can/will destroy the aileron or elevator.

VadimKirillov

I did most of covering. It takes a lot of time to do it neatly and carefully.  At the end I'm just one piece short for covering material.  Does anyone have a 20" x 8" piece of white covering?

Frank v B

Vadim,

I can probably find some.  What brand of covering?

Frank

VadimKirillov