Speed-building a Guillows 20" span super Cub for New Year's day

Started by Frank v B, December 22, 2022, 10:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Started building it after dinner tonight.  Letting it dry overnight.

The only deviation from the plans is adding a second rudder post and elevator leading edge so I can convert it to RC.

Will post photos once the computer stops fighting me.

Frank

Note: in the photos, I leave the cross members long because it is easier to cut them accurately once the glue dries.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Frank v B

Covering just about finished. Nothing has been shrunk yet.  It tends to twist these light structures.
The plane is single colour because it was the lightest covering I had. 
Any heavier covering and the whole structure will implode when the heat is applied.  Balsa in a bag! ;D

Will shrink the plane's covering once fully assembled.
The clamp on the fuse is to let a balsa sheet cockpit floor dry.
It will be taking the weight of the battery, ESC and receiver.

Two sub-micro servos glued onto the fuse sides.
Motor is an E-Flite 180 ( a 5 amp max motor) and an E-Flite 10 amp ESC.  It will be on 2 cells.

Frank

octagon

Good Job Frank. 26 hours till deadline, looks like you're going to make it.
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Looks like a plane!

Last bits to do:  pushrods, add covering between the wings (fuse top), test motor, add wheels, shrink covering, true everything up.
Total weight before battery and RX is 2 oz.

Frank

ps: Rob, I think I will make it. ;)

Frank v B

Trick: Cross the pushrods for the rudder and elevator. (the servo on the left side of the plane uses the pushrod that exits the right side of the plane at the back).

I used thin aluminum tubes as pushrod guides and use very thin piano wire as pushrods.

In this photo you can see how the tubes cross over near the rear.  This is so there is a single smooth bend in the pushrod from the servo out to the rudder/elevator.  The bigger the plane, the more important this becomes because the wire is thicker and less flexible.

Frank

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

octagon

So, will you be flying that in your kitchen tomorrow Frank?  I bet indoor somewhere tomorrow.
What could possibly go wrong?

Frank v B

Finished!

Put on the wheels, powered up the motor, connected the elevator and rudder, shrunk the covering, added twist in the wings (see head-on view, middle photo).
To answer Rob's question....probably a 5 continent flight...dining room to family room to kitchen to hallway to living room. ;)
The landing will probably the subject of a future Mayday episode.

Frank

Frank v B

....so Rob Dickinson phoned me to wish me a happy new year and see how the flying was going.

Here is my photo report of my flying (s)kills:
25- the dining room
26- the family room
27- the kitchen
28- the front hall
29- the living room.

If the next photo/video works it will be a hoot.  Thanks for the inspiration Rob.

Stay tuned.

Frank

msatin

The landings may have been a bit awkward, but the plane is still 1 piece!
Well done :)

Frank v B

It flew...indoors.

Tied 5' of fishing line to the landing gear and fed it out to the wingtip at the CG.  Put masking tape at the wingtip.  Tied it to the center of the ceiling fan 10' off the ground (12' ceiling).

When I revved up the motor, it happened to go to inverted so I flew 4 circuits inverted.  Then stopped the motor and made it go the right way.  Did 4 circuits with the plane in the correct orientation.  It flew perfectly at half throttle.

Mission accomplished!

Frank

ps: took a 1 minute video but it is too big to transfer.

msatin

Semi-Automated Control Line flying.
Pat Mackenzie would appreciate it!

Frank v B

Andy Hoffer

Bravo @Frank v B !

Any photos of Cynthia with her 12-gauge indoor domestic airspace control device? 

Cheers,

Andy