DC-6 Print and Build

Started by davidk, December 23, 2022, 03:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

ESC wires pulled... whew!

bfeist

How many times did you cut yourself on the PLA?

davidk

Never happened.  Stuck my finger on a wire yesterday... but no PLA issues.

davidk

Installing the motors.

There is a Motor Mount Tool that gets installed on the motor and motor mount.

CA is applied onto the motor mount and, holding the tool, the motor mount is slid into the nacelle.  Remove the motor mount tool and the motor is positioned correctly.

This ensures the exact same depth for each motor and makes sure the prop adapter is sitting 3.5mm in front of the engine cowl.  Brilliant.

On the Cowls, the bottom magnets are installed reverse polarity to the top magnets so the cowls can't be attached upside down.

davidk

Motors installed

overnout

Great project Dave! That's a huge print. Looking forward to seeing it at the field.

davidk

The wing is complete... landing gear in, servos in, control horns on, everything centred and locked down.
RX attached, motors running, gear working, wires Y'd, rates set.  The wires will need some bundling to make things easy to assemble.

davidk

Last 2 parts installed... the wing mount blocks.  The fuselage is bolted to the wing mount blocks with 3 3mm x 40mm machine screws... 2 at the front, 1 at the back.
It seemed to me that this wouldn't be strong enough until I realized that it's the wing that is flying... and it's simply carrying a light fuselage.

Doors and windows decals are next... but... that's it... it's done.  First nice day I'll install the wing onto the fuselage in the garage or on the driveway and taxi around a bit.

octagon

fantastic Job Davey, Looks great
What could possibly go wrong?

davidk

Fuselage with decals.  I'm not really one for decals and authenticity.  I put stuff on more so I can see it than for scale... but these really do add a certain something.

octagon

Really nice Davey. Its going to be amazing to see fly.
What could possibly go wrong?

GuyOReilly

Not sure if you saw this guy's video about his DC-6 build and fly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp3yEOzvFtg

Guy

davidk

Yes, couldn't have built it without the video.

Gregor77