Build - BMJR Fiasco

Started by msatin, March 06, 2023, 08:55:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

msatin

I found this kit on BMJR Models and seemed like a good 3rd build.
It won't be as interesting as some of the other projects from more experienced builders (see Michael, Frank Rob, Guy, David's 3D, etc  ;)), but for anyone interested in starting to build, it demonstrates that no matter how badly you screw up, there is always a fix  ;D
It has a 44" wingspan; 2826 1100KV motor, 30a esc; 10x5 prop.
Started off pretty straightforward

You never fail until you stop trying

msatin

A few more

msatin

Motor box was actually 2 pieces. The 2nd on the right allowed for placement of the motor so that the prop cleared the cowl.
The cowl was built up using a jig.

msatin

Now some covering.
I used Ultracote, which turned out to be a good choice.
It was fairly easy to work with, but the real advantage was how much it shrank when hot air was applied. See 5143
I also learned (unfortunately later on in the process)  that by tacking the covering, and then very carefully applying hot air before ironing the entire section, I was able to avoid a fair bit of creasing.
The wing and h-stab tips were essentially thick pieces of balsa that needed to be sanded into shape. The difficulty was making sure that both sides were as identical as possible.
These were also very very rounded which made covering them quite challenging.

msatin

wing tip

msatin

Fuselage and wing covered

Michael

Michael

msatin

1st major mistake.
The h-stab did not fit snugly into the opening, so I had to put in a bunch of shim material to make it a solid a fit.
However, I was so focused on this, that I wasn't paying attention to ensuring the stab was, well... actually Horizontal.  :o
Because the fuse and stab were already covered, I didn't want to do any more damage cutting out the shims so it took quite a while.

msatin

A couple of other interesting things for me
I finally learned how to insert CA hinges. I have had a lot of trouble with this, as the hinge always would get crumpled or the fabric would come off as I tried to insert it into the slot
The trick (at least it worked for me) was to make the slot quite a bit wider than the actual hinge.
After getting everything installed, I went to place the wing into the crutch only to discover that the linkage stopper was in the way. So I removed the linkage stopper and put a Z-bend (much easier than I thought) in the push rod.

msatin

Final pic - Ready to fly.
Thanks to Frank, who, while recovering from surgery, was still able to provide good guidance and tips.

msatin

davidk

She's beautiful... and in Rogo's official colours!

What's the motor, prop, ESC?

Nicely done Mark.

msatin

Thanks David.
It's a Propdrive from HobbyKing. 2826 1100KV motor, 30a esc, also from HobbyKing; 10x5 prop.
I have the designated garbage bag ready for the maiden. LOL
If it flies nicely, I will try printing decals (special paper for this) on my printer

Frank v B

Mark,

When you started you said the model was aptly named.
From Wikipedia:

"Fiasco: a failure or humiliating situation"

Where's the failure??
Looks great.

It is hard to describe to people how satisfying a successful maiden is on a plane you built yourself.

To other TEMAC members: go build something that flies!  You'll love it.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Georgetsigaridis

Hi Mark
Enjoyed following your build. Thanks for the tips along away. They are invaluable to newbies like me in the build process.

Thanks again and keep building.