Repairing my Cub

Started by msatin, March 11, 2023, 05:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msatin

Last year, after several successful flights, I nosed over during a takeoff.
As you can see this totally destroyed the firewall
You never fail until you stop trying

msatin

I cut out a new Firewall using 1/8 ply, and using the remnants of the original FW as a template, was able to cutout the slots for the spars.
I did not have blind nuts or screws long enough for the standoffs, so used the correct sized threaded rod, cut it to proper length, and using red loctite essentially glued a nut in place of the head

msatin

Because I didn't have blind nuts behind the FW, I used bolts with a lock washer and blue loctite instead.
I then had to screw the motor in place on the FW before gluing the FW into place.
I added some reinforcement on the sides.
I still have bit more gluing, and adding the 2 motor mount screws, but hopefully that should be it, and she'll fly again

Frank v B

Mark,

Great fix.  The circle of life of a kit-built plane:  Build, Fly, Crash, Fix, Fly, etc.

The best part- the thrill of several maidens for a single airplane. ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Richard,

Nope! *

Frank

ps: Great to hear from you again.  Hope you are doing well and hope you will show up at Rogo field in the spring in the post Repas era.
Have had several e-mail exchanges with Ton van Munsteren in Holland.  He indicated that Holland has had this REPAS era for several years including plane registration....and taxation.

* I have not written the test yet so I can play dumb.  ;) ;)
Will write it next week.
"Never trade luck for skill"