Minimoa 105"

Started by GuyOReilly, November 06, 2019, 12:18:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

Centre section glued.  Had to try the wings on for size.

Michael

Michael

GuyOReilly

Project advances, temporary installation of the rudder with pull/pull cables.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfEmRT781xw&feature=youtu.be

davidk

Excellent.  One of the by-products of seeing all these builds is getting to see a number of working areas and equipment.

I have to know, Guy, what's the "Danger" sign pointing to?  Is that "Danger" on a stick?  A re-useable, mobile warning?

GuyOReilly

The "DANGER" sign is because an Exacto #11 blade is mounted on an 18-inch stick.  :o   I needed that for a project and just kept it.... just in case...   ;)

GuyOReilly

Is this pilot size too small or not?
Now...be kind...

GuyOReilly

Let me introduce to you, Captain Jack!

GuyOReilly

Construction can resume...  ;D 
Parcel arrived today.   :o 
Thank you Canada Post  >:(

GuyOReilly

Temporarily installed the motor. ;D
E-flite Power 25 @870 Kv.
Should be more than ample power.
Propeller is 14X8, but I think it is too large a diameter and should probably be using 11.
Battery would be 1800 or 2200, to be determined later. :-\

Frank v B

Guy,

Looking good!  A Power 25 is more than enough.  It will fly fine on 3 cells.  Pick the battery pack to balance.

Keep going.  There is a finish line.
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

I am getting back to the Minimoa after a bit of a hiatus. 
Here are a few questions for the more knowledgeable people in the club about a pull-pull rudder set-up:
1- Can the cable have some stretch? -  I plan on using kite strings and it does have some stretch.
2- Can a fishline swivel be used to prevent the cable from twisting?  These are small, see the picture. I would put one on each side of the rudder.
3- Should the line be one continuous loop from the right rudder to the servo to the left rudder or should there be 2 lines, one for each side.  Someone told me that having loop is easier when it comes to ensuring both sides are of equal length. The adjustment is done at the servo to block the string.  I need a second or third-fourth opinion on this matter.
Thank you for your guidance and assistance.
Guy

Frank v B

Guy,

An attempt at answers to your questions:
1) stretch is bad.  It makes for a sloppy response.  Fishing line like Spider wire is terrific since it has very little stretch.
2) the fishline swivels are handy for connect/disconnect and line adjustment.  The swivel action is not needed.
3) No need for the line to be continuous since it needs to be fastened at the arm. The adjustment knot can be at the rudder horn.

Note: the larger the airplane, the greater the need for a tiller arm.  This tiller arm is moved by a pushrod to the servo. I believe it can be attached to the servo arm directly if it is a ball bearing servo, otherwise it will require a tiller arm.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

Quote from: Frank v B on August 25, 2020, 05:59:50 PM
Guy,

An attempt at answers to your questions:
1) stretch is bad.  It makes for a sloppy response.  Fishing line like Spider wire is terrific since it has very little stretch.
2) the fishline swivels are handy for connect/disconnect and line adjustment.  The swivel action is not needed.
3) No need for the line to be continuous since it needs to be fastened at the arm. The adjustment knot can be at the rudder horn.

Note: the larger the airplane, the greater the need for a tiller arm.  This tiller arm is moved by a pushrod to the servo. I believe it can be attached to the servo arm directly if it is a ball bearing servo, otherwise it will require a tiller arm.

Frank

Thank you @Frank v B for your insightful reply and comments.
1- I thought so... Just did not want to buy 150 yards of line for the 5 feet I will need... Perhaps I can pick-up fishing as an additional hobby... NOT!!!
2- Okay, I will use the ones I have.
3- I preferred to have separate lines rather than a continuous loop. Great minds think alike....
4- Tiller arm?!?  Too late for that :-( all framing done and I do not see how I can arrange that at this time.   ???
5- BB Servo  ;D  One can always use a BB Servo! ;D

Have a great evening.
Guy

GuyOReilly

Sometimes, a man has to do what a man has to do...  ::)
I broke down and bought 150 yards of braided fish line, but I only needed approximately 10 feet... :o
Oh, the sacrifices we do for the hobby.   ;)

Andy Hoffer

Hey @GuyOReilly,

Just bring a fishing rod to the next float fly at Lake Scugog and you can catch some dinner.  Or you can do some control ling flying from a boat in the middle of the lake.  Either way that will take care of the excess 147 yards of braided fishing line. 8)

Votre ami,

André