June 8

Started by thehaze, June 07, 2016, 08:43:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

24 hours out and it's not looking good. There's a cold front moving through and the winds are forecast to be 25km/h gusting to almost 50km/h. Although I usually encourage students to fly in windy conditions there are limits. An apprentice will only fly in one direction in conditions like this... backwards.

Given the forecast, flight instruction is "on hold" for tomorrow. I'll check back in tomorrow and see if the forecast changes in our favour, but right now it isn't looking great.

Mike
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Guess what! 
I'll be there. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

thehaze

Wouldn't expect anything less...

thehaze

The current forecast has winds at 25km/h gusting to 41km/h. Far too windy to fly.

Sadly, going to postpone tonight's training. See you all next week, when it will be warm and calm...

Crazyflyer

I stopped by the field at 1pm to test out my new radio, with some gust, I was going backwards even at half throttle on my Stryker. Challenging and scary to say the least. I wouldn't expect an apprentice to have enough power to fly forward today!! Although it would be good training!
Good news is that I am very happy with my FrSky Taranis radio!! (same features as a DX-20 but for less than $300 and less chance of loosing connection to your aircraft!) ... if anyone is interested in a well priced radio.

Palkina

Good to know that I will not be alone, when I get my wings.   :)
Wondering about which receivers you used. Telemetry enabled ?
Any plans to have the module to support DSMX?

Carlos

Oscar

Welcome to the dark side, Stephan.  Carlos, I use Immersionrc ezuhf jr module on my Taranis X9D+.  I use the default OpenTx.  I don't fly with Taranis.  I use it for my snow plow truck during winter time.  ;)

Frank v B

Guess what?  I was at the field at 5:30 pm.   ;D

Had 4 flights on the buddy box with Gerald (Flyzone Beaver).  The wind was very swirley but quite manageable.  By about 6:30 pm the wind had settled down and Greg H. showed up.  Then Oscar dropped by and maidened 2 planes (EDF wing and Profile Xtra) and FPV'd his Tundra Cub under Greg H.'s careful supervision.  Then a newbie dropped by (Corey) with a HK type pusher plane and I maidened it.  Flew quite well until it spit out the prop and motor.  Dead stick landing was no problem.  Apprentices would have flown fine today.

The Lunatic Fringe members of the Club had fun. 8)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Crazyflyer

Hi Carlos, I picked up a couple of the D4R-II and a D8R and some other ones for my mini quads, I am switching from Spectrum DX-8 because for one I am having issues with communication dropping while flying (need to send it to Spectrum to get is fixed), and more importantly I want to use the telemetry (without spending huge money) and have the RSSI information which tells me if I am about to loose connection to my aircraft if I am too far.
The only reason I would get a Spectrum module is for the small UMX bind & fly planes from Horizon Hobby.
I have quite a few Orange DSMX (cheapest) and LemonRx receivers (a bit cheaper than FrSky), but will gladly get rid of them for the telemetry and knowing if I am about to destroy yet another battery!! The FrSky receivers are still much cheaper than Spectrum or the other big names.
Good luck with your wings!

Quote from: Palkina on June 08, 2016, 07:37:43 PM
Good to know that I will not be alone, when I get my wings.   :)
Wondering about which receivers you used. Telemetry enabled ?
Any plans to have the module to support DSMX?

Carlos

Oscar

Last evening would be a great opportunity to learn how to fly in a gusty wind condition. (38km/h).  The Apprentice with SAFE will have no problem.  The panic button and the Intermediate mode (I called it AS3X with steroid) will become handy last night.