Dumas Pietenpol - another project

Started by Michael, March 21, 2020, 05:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordPayne

Beautiful work for sure!

Put it over the mantle in your home for pride of place.  :)
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."

Mike L

Whew!  I have finished the fuselage, I think. ;)  I hope Michael will see this post, because I used the pictures of his project every step of the way and I am grateful for them!  This part was fun and challenging.  I made a mistake interpreting the plans on how to view the bottom of the fuselage and had to redo several cross members, but I was able to correct my errors before getting too much further.  Please don't ask me about my gusset stupidity.  :-[  All-in-all, I am happy with the way it turned out and ready for the next step.  Side note, my pilot is getting inpatient and wants me to build at a faster pace. ;)  Stay tuned for the next step.  All the best!

Michael

Michael

Mike L

Thank you Michael!  Thanks for setting up this board and your most helpful pictures and comments!

Michael

I was not satisfied with the way this flew. Since building it, I flew it only twice, and have not tried again because it was no fun.

With no ailerons and virtually no dihedral, and perhaps a bit tail-heavy, this model just couldn't turn nicely, and could barely fly straight.

I finally decided to make some improvements by adding ailerons and an electronic 3-way (ailerons, elevator and rudder) stabilizer.

First, I cut off, removed, and sanded off the older tissue covering. Then I cut out aileron bays, and constructed ailerons and servo mounts.

Michael

Michael

Then, I recovered with matching (to the fuselage) red tissue. It was glued on with a 50/50 mix of white glue and water, and when dried, coated with gloss medium.

When totally dry, it tightens up nicely.

Now waiting for very calm and warm weather.

Michael

msatin

You never fail until you stop trying

Michael

After those modifications, I finally flew it, today, twice.

With a bit more nose-weight (still under 250 grams), the new ailerons and a 3-axis stabilizer, I'm happy to report that it flew nicely, and it was fun!

Michael

sihinch

Amazing Michael. Looks fabulous.

Would you mind letting us know which stabilizer you used in such a small model, please? Thanks!

Michael

The model is not that small. The fuselage is about 2" wide.

Unit shown here:

https://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=7899.0
Michael