Spitfire

Started by GuyOReilly, December 01, 2020, 10:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

A bit more progress.
New cowling made out of blocks of wood, as per plan.
Carved the inside to fit the 32 Flight motor, wires and motor mount.
More sanding to come and then more sanding still.

Andy Hoffer

Nice job monsieur @GuyOReilly !!

Je ne peux pas attendre!

Andy

GuyOReilly

The wing is mated to the fuselage.
Remains to do the tail.
The motor was bench tested and runs.
The installation location of an ON/OFF switch on the side of the fuselage will be tricky due to the construction method used, there are many layers and boxes in this construction.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on December 20, 2020, 12:46:35 PM
The wing is mated to the fuselage.
Remains to do the tail.
The motor was bench tested and runs.
The installation location of an ON/OFF switch on the side of the fuselage will be tricky due to the construction method used, there are many layers and boxes in this construction.

Hey @GuyOReilly

Just remember this is a family show!

Andy

GuyOReilly

Progress continues, with some snags along the way.

Photo 7601 - I needed a large washer to hold the bold in place to sand the cowling.
Photo 7602 - Holding the cowling firmly in place for sanding.
Photo 7604 - More and mores sanding.
Photo 7603 - Wing fairings, interesting construction: make 6 layers of soft balsa, then sand way 85% of it. (I know @Andy Hoffer that the picture is out of focus.)
Photo 7605 - How to place the aileron servo: the instructions cal for "servo tape" to the wing?!?  Nope, nope, nope, cannot do that.
Photo 7606 - Servo will be sacrificed to the wing.  There is no way to pull it out for adjustments once secured with screws.  Also, the wing sheeting was sanded down from 1/16 to 1/32 and it brakes when trying to cut with a new #11 blade going very carefully.
Photo 7608 - Ailerons cut out.
Photo 7607 - I plan on using plywood base for the retracts - 3 X 2.765 - 1/8 ply -There will be triangular stock holding the ply base against the ribs and the spar and the leading edge.  They will not be in the scale position (as suggested by @Frank v B) they will be more outward and forward of the scale position.  Also, to retain the integrity of the spar, they will retract 90 degrees.

Question:  How do I length the 1/8 diameter L/G wire?  ??? I did not see a set screw or grub screw anywhere.  Any help is appreciated.

PS: I know that the pictures may not be in the preferred sequence @Andy Hoffer   :P

Andy Hoffer

Hey @GuyOReilly

I love the 45 rpm record spindle adapter (photo 7601)!!  That's almost the same vintage as the Spitfire!   ;D

Andy

GuyOReilly

Close inspection of the retractable L/G indicate that they cannot fit inside the wing as it is too thin.  :'(
At the thickest portion of the wing: 1 inch, including the 1/16 sheeting top and bottom, the available depth would be .875 inch and much less toward the leading edge.
The measured size of the retract with the 1/8 ply wood base: 1.125 inches.  :(
So, back to square one - fixed L/G.
In my stash of spare parts, I located what should be suitable L/G.  More measurements on the way.

Michael

Unless your model is super scale, retracts (when retracted) sticking out a quarter-inch or so won't be noticed in flight.

Fixed landing gear is an easier, care-free solution, though.
Michael

GuyOReilly

Thank you @Michael , fixed gear it will be I will keep the retracts for the Lancaster as initially planned.
In the process of selecting an appropriate size of wood for this.
Any suggestions on how to extent the piano wire of the L/G retracts?

GuyOReilly

Finally decided to use the 2X4 landing construction method suggested by @Frank v B .
@Michael , yes you are correct, a simpler solution, use the KISS principle.

Photo 7628 - Select a suitable piece of massive lumber, thank you @Frank v B for supplying it.
Photo 7629 - Remove the protruding portion - it is more aerodynamic that way.
Photo 7630 - The bottom portion was fitted to prevent removing too much of the center rib laminations.
Photo 7631 - Epoxy curing with appropriate weight.

The wheels will be 11 inches apart, not scale but this should assit with ground handling.   ;D

GuyOReilly

Standing proud on her wobbly legs (not screwed in yet).

GuyOReilly

While waiting for glue to dry and filler to set, I added 2 Ikea measuring tapes to the edge of the construction table for easy reference when needed.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on December 29, 2020, 10:39:07 PM
Standing proud on her wobbly legs (not screwed in yet).

Elle est très jolie @GuyOReilly !

Andy

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: GuyOReilly on December 31, 2020, 11:19:26 AM
While waiting for glue to dry and filler to set, I added 2 Ikea measuring tapes to the edge of the construction table for easy reference when needed.

Very nice work station up-grade!

Andy

GuyOReilly

I think that the decals supplied will be used, but the colours will be close to these.
The Spitfire will be painted, light coats with airbrush.