PT17

Started by Michael, April 20, 2021, 06:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Thanks to Ontario's new stay-at-home order, I've committed to building another model airplane.

My decision was based on: what balsa kits are available in the GTA; what currently unused power system I have on hand; what covering I have on hand; and what whatever else I have on hand that might lend itself to a new project.

I chose the Alien Aircraft Corp PT19 biplane, courtesy of a curb-side purchase from Great Hobbies in Mississauga. I have a suitable power system and radio components. I don't want to finish the model in the traditional blue and yellow colours, since it will look like an E-Flite ARF. I have red covering, and a quick Google search found a bright red example used in the Israeli air force. I just happen to have suitable Israeli decals left over from a previous order/project.

The model has a 34" wingspan, and should weigh about 24 ounces.
https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=ALE306

The kit was about $192 (with tax). Compared to an ARF, that's not so cheap, but the kit includes lots of hardware, hundreds of laser-cut pieces of balsa and plywood and good plans. As well, last year I built another model by this manufacturer, and it was fun to build, and flew exceptionally well.
https://temac.ca/smf/index.php?topic=7376.0

This should keep me busy for a few weeks, and should be fun to fly on calm, warm days.

This thread will not be a full "build-thread", but I will post photos and comments of my progress.
The instruction manual has many photos of construction.
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/2281/6393/files/aac306stearmanpt17_bd13fb75-f89b-4702-8feb-cf17759c6dde.pdf?15716914580228316341

Michael

Michael

I've done 5 steps out of a total of more that 265 steps, as per the instructions.

Tail "feathers" done: beveled, sanded, hinged (not glued).

Michael

Michael

32 steps out of 268.

The fuselage construction is underway. The laser parts need a lot of cutting to get them out clean and smooth, so that's adding time to the construction.

I'm using medium and thin CA, as well as a quick-drying white glue, depending on what I think will work better and more appropriately at each joint.

Parts fit is about 9/10 (or better) quality.

There's a lot of slow and tedious work; it's not a kit for a rank beginner, and it may even challenge the patience of an experienced builder, but it keeps me busy, and I'm enjoying it.

Michael

Michael

Basic fuselage construction is done. I'll do a bit more sanding.
That's 86 steps out of 268 steps in the instructions.

Next is the dummy engine, which seems to have more than 100 laser cut parts.

Michael

Michael

Dummy radial engine construction underway.

Every thin layer of the cooling fins on the cylinders is a separate laser cut part (and many of those need to be partially cut out).

This is slow work, but fun.

Michael

davidk

Quote from: Michael on April 27, 2021, 05:38:00 PM
Dummy radial engine construction underway.

Every thin layer of the cooling fins on the cylinders is a separate laser cut part (and many of those need to be partially cut out).

This is slow work, but fun.

What a great design job... to create hundreds of little pieces that fit together to form a full radial engine.  That's pretty cool.  Keep sanding, Michael... it looks great!

Michael

Dummy radial engine construction completed. It's made up of 165 laser cut parts, and an additional 14 parts I added. It weighs 21 grams (approx. 2/3 of an ounce) unpainted.

Michael

Frank v B

Looks great.  Stain and varnish it!   ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Michael

It's 10 days of pleasurable building. The upper wing is now constructed and sanded.

Michael

Michael

Lower wing and wing-struts finished.

The wing struts took more about 3 hours to complete. They were glued together, secured with thread and glue, carved and sanded to an oval cross-section, and trimmed to fit in the wings.

Michael

Michael

Main construction is finished.

The inner cockpits were painted black during construction.

234 steps out of 268, in the instructions.

The next step is covering and painting.
Michael

davidk

Beautiful.  This is a work of art.  Nicely done.

Michael

Thanks, David.

Now it's time for a little imagineering.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Looks fantastic!
Great job Michael.

Michael

Thanks, Guy.

Covering has started!
Michael