PT17

Started by Michael, April 20, 2021, 06:27:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

The built-up components are now covered. Painting the dummy engine, landing gear, and aluminum and wood struts, is next.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Lovely colour!
Some decals perhaps to break the solid red...
When is the field opening for a Maiden Flight?!?

Michael

Thanks, Guy.

For sure there will be decals and numbers. And a pilot too!

I'm hoping the field will open around May 20.

Let's hope!
Michael

Michael

Wing struts and landing gear painted.

Dummy radial engine and pilot figure (a nice fit in the plane) are primed with matte grey paint. They will be painted by hand next.

The pilot is from David's Magical Mystery 3D Printing, therefore the pilot will be named "David".

Michael

davidk

Those are some high def shots.  It's amazing the true nature of these objects are revealed.  In the hand, you don't see all the lines and imperfections... either in the PLA or the wood.
I wonder how wood fibre PLA would be?

Michael

Combing (black wire insulation) added to the open cockpit / battery hatch.

Michael

Michael

Pilot figure painted.

Michael

davidk

Right... your middle name... Angelo.

Michael

Windshields done, and radial engine almost done.
Michael

Gregor77

how cool is that!  Shame to put covering on it!  xoxo!

bfeist

Looking good Michael. Just a note on the 3D printed pilot, it's possible to get much higher resolution prints than that, they just take longer to print. Let me know if you'd ever like anything printed, I'm always looking for an excuse to print something. Here's an example of "detail" resolution, I believe it's possible to go even higher but I've never tried.

Ben

Michael

That is excellent resolution.

I may rake you up on your offer.

However, acrylic paint easily fills in the micro-grooves, and when looking at the item in person, you barely see the lines.

Another nice thing about the acrylic paint is that it dries matte, and doesn't have a commercial glossy plastic finish.
Michael

Michael

Tail installed, level and straight - it took some trimming to get it right.
I found a light and small rubber and aluminum tail wheel, which I used instead of the plastic one supplied in the kit.
General assembly started.
Michael

Michael

As I assembled the model, it became obviously clear that it was tail heavy. I added lead, wheel collars and screws, at the inside front cowl, top and bottom, and heavy screws in the dummy engine cylinders.

It is still balancing slightly behind where it should, and it weighs 35 ounces instead of the 28 suggested. The instructions do imply that weight might need to be added.

I think it'll be okay.

Michael

Michael

Construction, assembly and radio installation are complete.

Next will be decals and trim.

Michael