Cloud Dancer- conversion from .46 IC to electric

Started by Frank v B, November 20, 2021, 09:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Here was the problem.

The single old standard size servo was trying to move a single continuous piece of piano wire connecting the two ailerons.  The problem: a rotating servo needs to be able to move sideways and forward and aft as well.

Solution- cut the continuos aileron linkage and install two servos.  Problem solved.

First photo: The original servo.  Connected to one piece of piano wire.
Second photo- two servo solution.

The old system bound so badly that the servo stalled at about 30% deflection.  There is now full deflection.

Ready to get back in the air.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Sorry guys- this plane is no more. 

I flew it yesterday and it did not feel right.  It was skittish in the turn- It felt like a rear wheel drive car racing on ice with studs on the front wheels and slicks on the back.  It was not laterally stable.  It felt like the tail was trying to get in front of the nose at every turn.

The power was fine and the dual servos sure fixed the aileron problem. 

I was going to strip the covering in the winter and re-cover it if it flew fine.  It did not.  As well, the plane was a slimer so all the balsa was oil soaked.  Have you ever tried covering a plane over oil-soaked balsa?  Impossible.

When I started taking the wing apart I was glad I did not go further.  The front half of the wing root started to split apart at the bottom.  The reason- nothing was continuous or re-inforced.  The wing halves were butt-glued together without any fibreglass.  Just balsa.  No plywood anywhere.  This is 3 out of 3 slimer conversions of finished planes that had butt-glued balsa joints at the wing root.  One broke in flight (Stinson Voyager), one was caught in time and re-inforced (Rearwin Speedster) and this one would have broken in half during the next flight.

Disaster avoided.

May this Cloud Dancer rest in peace. It is in the front left in the photo of the planes I flew yesterday.

Frank

ps: I bought it for $20.00, did not buy a single thing for it (had the motor and electronics), had 4 flights on it and it kept me busy during Covid.  Good deal!

"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

"Sorry guys- this plane is no more."

We are sorry to hear about your loss.
A private ceremony attended by @Frank v B  (alone) was held over the trash can. 
It shall be remembered fondly as a gas-guzzler that swam in oil.
The donor card was signed, and many parts will allow other projects to flourish.
When things do not feel right, euthanasia is sometimes the best answer

May this Cloud Dancer rest in peace pieces...

Guy
ps: "Have you ever tried covering a plane over oil-soaked balsa?". Yes, and I used brake cleaner, it removed most/all of the oil and I was able to recover that plane.