Balsa USA Northstar

Started by Michael, February 18, 2022, 10:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Quote from: Gregor77 on March 07, 2022, 06:33:43 PM
Sorry, I was trying to say, keep the two alerion servos in the center fuse, use a bell crank set up to run the rods to the outer wing.   keeps servos dry!

OK, makes sense, but I think I'll stick with the recommended linkages, based on the success of so many others built and flown.
Michael

Michael

Wing and ailerons are finished, and ready to be glued onto the fuselage, but I think I'll sand it smoother a few times first.

Wires for motor and speed control in place.

Michael

Michael

Power pod on fin. Modified with a hatch, and a new firewall, which centers the motor about a half-inch higher, allowing for a bit more propeller clearance.

Michael

Michael

Front (battery and radio) hatch held on with magnets.

Michael

Michael

Ready for covering. I will use a combination of fabric-textured iron on covering (for the open wing construction area), and fiberglass cloth and water-based polyurethane (for everything else). That will be followed by a water-based paint finish.

Michael

GuyOReilly

Michael

Thanks, Guy.

Fabric-textured heat-shrink covering on the open structure.

Michael

Michael

Fiberglass-cloth covering started.

Michael

Michael

White flat primer is being applied. When dry, it will be easy to see if any areas need to be further sealed/waterproofed.

Michael

Michael

Colour being applied. Acrylic paint out of a tube, mixed about 50/50 with water, hand brushed.

Michael

Michael

More paint, hand-brushed.

Michael

Michael

Masking tape (green) really helps with the paint colour separation.

Michael

Michael

Finished. 6 weeks; not bad.

Motor shimmed a bit forward to give just a bit of clearance in front of the fin.

Radio components installed including an electronic stabilizer. The stabilizer is connected to an on/off switch for safety.

The motor shaft does appear to be slightly bent, causing some vibrations. It`s not so bad, so I'll try to maiden the model as is.

Michael

Michael

Modifications:

The instructions call for a good amount of lead weight to be added to the nose, but I didn't do this, as there would be no (8 to 10 ounce) fuel tank in the tail, and there would be a heavy battery in the nose. The model balanced perfectly with no other added weight.

I added an air scoop (see image in post above) to allow air cooling for the speed control.
Michael

GordPayne

Really beautiful work Michael. You should be proud!
Old Buttonville proverb,"If you have to hit the fence, hit the far fence, not the near fence."