Vintage Pilot build 1/6 scale

Started by Gregor77, March 25, 2022, 11:18:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

I got on a tear after seeing Robs Pup. After finishing it up, I needed a pilot.

Go to Walmart and hit the Barbie Section. There is a summer Ken doll for $5.

I basically cut him in half. Sophia is used to it. Then I cut the 90210 hair style off.

Then use 3m masking tape and make a helmet using a reference online.

Use Walmart brand paints in the craft section. Basically a dark brown and black and yellow. Two tubes of oil paint. Burnt sienna and black. One bottle or oil thinner.

Once you are happy with the helmet just paint it brown with a rough blend of black. More around the areas that have shadow. One it has dried. Use the oil paints to wash the face. Gets rid of the toy look. Little burnt sirens around the eyes and blk around base of face.

Once this is done. You can use a old t-shirt for sheep skin around the helmet and collar.

I just used blue foam to pressure fit him in the cockpit. It allows for repairs. It's good he doesn't weight a lot.

This was a fun build last night. It really finishes my pup.

Gregor77

The 3m masking tape is great. I cut long strips and keep building up the head. If you need bulk. Just roll it up sticky side out. I also then brush lepage carpenter glue over it. Let it dry.

The goggles are cut from the Ken box. It has lots of corners and clear shapes. Also good for a windshield.

Frank v B

Greg,

Amazing!  Looks great up close.  It will surely pass the 50/50 test*

Frank

* at 50' and 50 km/H.
"Never trade luck for skill"

Gregor77

I am going to try to make another one!  Change it up a bit.   It looks like I cleaned out all the walmarts except Aurora...lol!

octagon

Following Greg's lead, I made one for the Pup too.
What could possibly go wrong?

bweaver

Love it... They look great.

What are you going to do with the left over legs?  Maybe make a creative model stand or novel type of landing gear?

Michael

Quote from: bweaver on March 26, 2022, 10:07:48 AM
Love it... They look great.

What are you going to do with the left over legs?  Maybe make a creative model stand or novel type of landing gear?

Maybe a hole in the bottom of the plane with the feet sticking out!
Michael

Gregor77

I have a feeling that would add a bit of up trim!  lol!