Model airplanes in Europe

Started by Frank v B, October 08, 2023, 10:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Corresponded with a modeller in Holland.  I am trying to help my cousin sell my uncle's model stuff.  He died at the age of 96 and was one of the pioneer RC model builders in Holland in a time when you still had to make your own radios. (late '50's).  He taught me how to build and fly CL  when I was 9 years old.

Noted Dutch RC plane modeller Ton van Munsteren is helping me advise my cousin.  Things I learned:

- 2 stroke engines are illegal/immoral.  The oil has to go somewhere and the noise.  An NIB OS .40 is practically worthless.
- vintage kits are valued.  A bit of a retro trend.  Kits like Graupner and Robbe, KeilKraft and Veron.
- balsa is hard to get and pricey....as I drove by all the windmill electric generators that consume all the world's balsa.
- Flying fields are difficult to find because of limited space.  Holland has 17.5 million people versus Canada's 38 million.  Total surface area of Holland- same as Lake Ontario!  That's why they cultivate the land between the runways of Amsterdam's Schiphol airport.  The farmer communicates with the tower to do his work.

Main message- we are lucky in Canada.  Rogo Field would be considered a luxury in Holland.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"