Crash of the year trophy 2014- nominations

Started by Frank v B, November 16, 2014, 11:35:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Last year we handed out the crash of the year trophy at the end of the flying season.  Piker was the winner.  We now need to award it to another deserving soul.

Please outline your misadventures this year.  I am expecting descriptions from Bill Q for his DH 2 ("due to temporary gravity reversal"), Chi with his jet ("truckload of foam pieces"), Eric ("Mr. Phoenix Norseman"), Simon H. with his near sonic earth misadventures, every Nooner racer since we have all tilled soil in at least one race and yours truly with the worm burner dirt dive at full speed with my Chili Breeze.

Don't forget the Tarzan landings in the trees, the cow chaser flights at the south end and the telephone pole ringers at the north end.

Andy's flying ice cube misadventures don't count. Nobody was stupid enough to witness them! ;D 

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

thehaze

So many to choose from!

My top 3 in no particular order:

1. Rogo's Habu Midair
2. Ed's Hotliner disintegrating when the wing delaminated
3. My Sundowner vs Glenn's Toni in the EF1 throwdown of the season.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Mike:

Damn! I missed all of those.

I did witness Simon's "Lemme go find the only tree for miles at the Orangeville EF1 races".  Poor tree!  :)
Am awaiting the usual response "it jumped out in front of my plane!" 
Balsa planes do tend to want to mate with lone trees... and telephone poles. ;D

Frank

BTW- EdEdge is eligible for the trophy despite his departure to Ottawa (Temac northeast).

Ededge2002

Thanks for the nomination Mike!
Quote" Ed's Hotliner disintegrating when the wing delaminated"

Just to correct the cause it was not a delamination.  It has not totally been resolved by the NTSB but it was a possibly a combination of too far out too low and too aggressive of an elevator input at too high a speed with quite possibly a too far back CG.  That or a signal interruption because of crossing the kicker wire fence too low and poor antenna orientation.

The facts are that it took a hefty tug to pull the 11" of it that had plowed its way into the back field beyond the fence line!  If your familiar with the plane the wing was pushed back off the fuse by the ground when it hit...  Approximate speed is estimated in the +180mph range......   
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Skyking

Actually, I can.

Frank v B

Ed,

re: "Approximate speed is estimated in the +180mph range...... " 

When did you start flying at high idle? 

We call them speed controllers.  You call them on-off switches. :D

Frank

Ed, regards to your family from the TEMAC boys.

sihinch

I had a wing delaminate over the field with my Reverb......

gmcnic

There were many memorable moments.  Some that come to mind are:

Main Spar Failure
Andy Hoffer-  Dago Red Mustang and its fluttering wings
Greg H-  Spitfire(?)  lawn dart after an "apparent" mid-air with Simon

Mid-Air's
Michael & Thomas-  Habu vs. Piper(?)  ("right hand circuits...")
Rob Dickinson & Vic Whitmore- (most gentlemanly)  after colliding straight out over the beans, they approached each other from their pilot's stations shaking hands before heading out together for the recovery.

Fly-aways
Greg H-  UMX Gee Bee somewhere east in the depth of last winter
Greg H-  Stryker somewhere southwest in a corn field (near Niagara Falls)?
Andy-  awol Apprentice somewhere south in a cattle field?

Smokin' LiPo
Peter Polumbo demonstrates what can happen to LiPo's on impact.

For me, it was my DHC2 Beaver at Tavares Pond blowing its floats apart on impact after pushrod jams.

battlestu

Quote from: gmcnic on November 17, 2014, 08:17:16 AM

Main Spar Failure
Greg H-  Spitfire(?)  lawn dart after an "apparent" mid-air with Simon

I don't think Simon's plane hit mine but the Spitfire did lawn dart in good ;)

for me it was the Apprentice that lived in a tree for a few days (and nearly everyone took a crack at getting it down)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Polecat

Quote from: Frank v B on November 16, 2014, 05:31:11 PM
Mike:

Damn! I missed all of those.

I did witness Simon's "Lemme go find the only tree for miles at the Orangeville EF1 races".  Poor tree!  :)
Am awaiting the usual response "it jumped out in front of my plane!" 
Balsa planes do tend to want to mate with lone trees... and telephone poles. ;D

Frank

BTW- EdEdge is eligible for the trophy despite his departure to Ottawa (Temac northeast).

Frank
Simon is the second person to hit that tree, the other person was from Lockport NY at one of our pylon races. There was no damage to the Quickie 500 plane, it just fell out of the tree. Thats not to bad, as our club has been at that field for 17 years.

Gregor77

Gregor77

I wish that I had more crashes on tape.. but most of us are very good fliers...  :-X

What about when Andy shot down Glenn's Spitfire?  Shot down with an FM signal... lol!

Gregor77

What about when Simon and I hit with the Dynam FW190 and the Dynam Spitfire.. that was a big crash and there was not much left.   But I did find my battery, or John P found it and it was still good!  3.89 per cell.. ha ha!

sihinch

Wingnutz

Quote from: Frank v B on November 16, 2014, 11:35:29 AM
Last year we handed out the crash of the year trophy at the end of the flying season.  Piker was the winner.  We now need to award it to another deserving soul.

Please outline your misadventures this year.  I am expecting descriptions from Bill Q for his DH 2 ("due to temporary gravity reversal"),...

Andy's flying ice cube misadventures don't count. Nobody was stupid enough to witness them! ;D 

Frank
An honour to be recognized...I think.
My DH2 and I survived its wobbling maiden flight with only wear and tear on the pilot's nerves...maiden went well enough that the pilot got cheeky enough to do a touch and go on the grass for the TEMAC peanut gallery who, after watching the DH2 stagger around for its maiden circuits of ROGO had gathered in anticipation of another maiden with an abrupt ending...not yet...
Second flight began much the same with the DH2 making its distinct pusher whirring noise and wobbling about much as it had on the first flight ...until, a gust tipped the model during a turn and the pilot (me) lost orientation with predictable results...model assumed a return to earth attitude and augered in to the freshly cut bean field.
Impact was spectacular but essentially unobserved...model went straight in and pieces exploded in all directions...resulting in the collection of pieces below.
While the story probably doesn't make this season's short list, the collection of bits left over has to be a contender in the least recognizable as an airplane department...come to think of it, the DH2 is so weird, it doesn't look much like an airplane when it' s intact!
I love the DH's weirdness and I'm  not going to give up on the model. I'm picking up another one this Friday from a US mailbox I've set up to try to cut the cost of bringing in stuff from the US.
As an aside, I did witness some of Andy's ice cube antics and am looking forward to winter flying again...there, I've said it,..I have contracted Andy's craziness!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!