Recycling an old balsa plane into a new shiny Canard!

Started by Chappers, February 14, 2023, 09:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chappers

Most years, my wife and I like to pack a picnic and cycle from our home in the East End of Toronto to watch the Toronto Air Show. Last year we saw an amazing aerobatic display by Canadian pilot Kyle Fowler in the Long EZ, an unusual Canard (back to front!) airplane...

Inspired by this, I decided to build my own interpretation of this by recycling the balsa wing and fin from an old EDF (red plane in photo below from 2012 jets day), and building a Canard which I finished this week (orange model photo)...Its a pusher prop plane with a 200 watt motor on 3s..Looking forward to maidening at the field 'when the gods allow'..

Trust you all survived winter cabin fever - roll on the spring! ;D

Gregor77

Nice!

Would still like to find who stole your other build!   >:(

msatin

Very interesting!
Looking forward to seeing it fly
You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

Simon,

What a great looking plane.  Love the colours.  Be careful of the CG location.  Google some model canards on Outerzone for CG location.  Canards are a whole new ball-game ("up"elevator pushes the nose down!).

Reminds me of two canard designs published 20-25 years ago.  "BassAckwards" and "Ascender".  In the Ascender text it said "say it very quickly". ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Chappers

Frank,

Yes I have specifically located the COG so that when you handlaunch it for me on its maiden, it will immediately do a back flip and strike you on the noggin! After I have had my fun with that I will adjust it for normal  flight operations...

Trust that your knee recovers in time for said scenario to unfold!

msatin

While I applaud your plan Simon - you'll do far more damage to the plane than to Frank's noggin ;D
Sorry Frank - I couldn't resist
You never fail until you stop trying

Frank v B

Simon

I am ready, willing and most likely.....able.... with proper equipment on my head. 
See thumbnail photo.

Looking forward to the day.  Will take the day off and book a bed in the local hospital. 8)

My new titanium knee has found a good home.  No knee pain, just muscle pain.  Can start driving in 10 days.
At my 2 week check-up with the surgeon he looked at my knee and said "that looks pretty good".  I said "and it even looks like you put it in the right way."  His immediate reply was "that's why I scheduled you at the end of the day so I could practice on a couple of knees before your operation"*

Frank
* a sailing friend of mine (similar age) had the same operation by the same surgeon 11 years ago (starboard, medial).  He said he was about the 3,000 th knee replacement he had done at that time.  He is back to playing squash, hockey and as skipper won 2 Canada's Cups (sailing) since the operation. 
There is hope for me ;)

Wingnutz

Frank, as a knee replacement (amongst other things)survivor, I wish you many years of full functionality. The full coverage helmet is a great idea! No matter how well the knee works, if Simon bonks you on the head a few times, all may be for nought!
Simon, I wish you well balancing that great looking canard so you can avoid damaging it on Frank's head! To a successful maiden!
I've only flown one canard and it was a modified ARF, balanced at the factory recommended CG. Balancing a scratch build canard is a completely different challenge, worthy of Bert Rutan or Simon Chapman! Please let is know how you make out!
My modified Freewing Gripen (built when the Gripen was still a candidate to be Canada's replacement for the CF-18...ergo the wistful Arrow paint scheme) balances very close to the main wing leading edge at the root. Both the canards and the elevons on the main delta are functional and tx programming was a bit of a head scratcher.
I've hesitated to post it here as in addition to the changed colour scheme, the edf has been replaced with an X-45 turbine...
It has flown twice and the only problems were the pilot's shaking fingers and a flameout on final at the end of the second flight.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Frank v B

Mr. Nutz,

Great to hear from you and the encouragement on the right medial hinge replacement.

Hope you are doing well.  You must drop by Rogo field this year and fly with us at least once. I will witness and sign your RPAS log book. ;)
Any day with Wingnutz at Rogo Field is a great day.

When and if you are planning to be in the neighbourhood I will clear my schedule to come up to Rogo Field and bother you.

Re: switching the EDf to a turbine is your choice as long as the pilot and his sense of humour stay the same.  ;D

Frank

Wingnutz

Quote from: Frank v B on March 08, 2023, 10:49:34 AM
Simon,

What a great looking plane.  Love the colours.  Be careful of the CG location.  Google some model canards on Outerzone for CG location.  Canards are a whole new ball-game ("up"elevator pushes the nose down!).

Reminds me of two canard designs published 20-25 years ago.  "BassAckwards" and "Ascender".  In the Ascender text it said "say it very quickly". ;D

Frank
Frank,
Love the canard humour in both model names,...especially the second! Seeing the lighter side of things seems Vari-Eze for you...(my own feeble attempt at canard humour) ;D
Not enough humour in our hobby right now...way too serious...
I will make every effort to get down to visit and hopefully fly at ROGO. Many good memories from my years there and especially from the first year build classes with you and Jack. Learned a lot...
Guy and I talk airplanes, big and little regularly and he's promised to keep me up to speed on TEMAC happenings.
Hoping to be lucky enough to see Simon's canard flying when I'm there...

Chappers

Glad to hear Franks knee is recovering, and it would be good to see Bill again at TEMAC...will post here prior to maiden - it promises to be entertaining whichever way the duck flies!

Wingnutz

Quote from: Chappers on March 17, 2023, 11:26:36 AM
Glad to hear Franks knee is recovering, and it would be good to see Bill again at TEMAC...will post here prior to maiden - it promises to be entertaining whichever way the duck flies!
As per the suggestion by Frank..."Bassackwards!"

Chappers

I am thinking of maidening the Canard this holiday Monday sometime between 12-3pm if the weather holds...to whom it may concern (that's mostly aimed at you, Frank  ;D)

Frank v B

Simon,

What an invitation.   8)
I was planning to go Monday 11am to 2-ish pm.

Will look for a helmet. ;)

Frank

Chappers

Frank - thanks for your response - regrettably a family obligation has been inserted into my schedule, so tomorrows maiden is postponed. Will post again when I expect to seek to commit aviation!