Big Bobber PlanePrint 3D Printed Build

Started by davidk, March 23, 2021, 11:09:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidk

This is a 3D printed plane from PlanePrint.com, the Big Bobber.  It's a bigger version of their Savage Bobber which is based on the real Zlin Savage Bobber.  The Big Bobber is 54", 1400g, 3S or 4S.  This is my first project in 3D printing.

davidk

The cowl section is glued in place with tabs joining the fuselage.
The frame starts building once the 3 main fuselage parts are together.
There's a guide tool that is printed which helps align the frame fuselage sections for gluing.  Medium CA is used with Kicker.
The Tail sections are put together and start attaching to the rear frame.
3 frame supports are put in place strengthening and aligning the structure.

Michael

Michael

sihinch

Super cool David!  Looks really nice. Congrats.

I'm excited to see it finished and flying.

Frank v B

David,

Looks neat.  Love the colour changes with the red and black.

May I remind you of a 3D presentation done by one of our members, Gil Elgez, a few years ago at a Pilots Meeting.
He advised us that before you start investing in 3D technology for model building, you should first check the status of your marriage.  3D printing eats hours and dollars.   ;D ;D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

davidk

Add 6mm Carbon Fiber Tubes and Wing1 parts Left and Right.
Turn it upside down and align the Horizontal Stab to the wing... then tape the stab to the table and glue the rear frame.  I messed this up... the tape loosened and I didn't notice.  That's what trim is for... I hope.
Then straighten the horizontal stab to the wing and tape it... over tape it.  This time it stayed... and glue in cross bars throughout the frame.

davidk

The Wings and Fuselage... most of the plane... is printed with PLA.
The hinges are printed with TPU filament, which is flexible.  There are varying degrees of flexibility.  You can get filament that is more... or less... flexible... and you can print with more or less infill to get the flexibility needed.
The original Bobber has a manual trim on the left side of the elevator.  PlanePrint has added that detail to this plane, although it's not functional.

Andy Hoffer

Elegant structure Dave.  Could you tell us how long the pieces take to print, how much material is typically used on a p[roject of this size and the cost to print everything.  (Can you print money with a 3D printer?  8) )

Way to go.  Looking forward to seeing the completed plane.

Andy

davidk

Each of the 3 main wing pieces (6 in total) took about 7 hours each... they are the longest.  Total print time around 100 hours.  With the filament I'm using, 1 wing part costs about $2.00 and takes 61g or 20m of filament.
You can't print money, but you can print chocolate or carbon fiber.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: davidk on March 25, 2021, 11:28:03 AM
Each of the 3 main wing pieces (6 in total) took about 7 hours each... they are the longest.  Total print time around 100 hours.  With the filament I'm using, 1 wing part costs about $2.00 and takes 61g or 20m of filament.
You can't print money, but you can print chocolate or carbon fiber.

So, you can print a chocolate Easter bunny pilot bust!! What a great technology!  :D

Andy

davidk

Start of the landing gear.
The tires are printed with ColorFabb VarioShore TPU.  This flexible filament can be printed in a range of temperatures from 200C to 250C.  This range dictates how much the filament will expand and foam.  This results in a variety of soft, flexible material.  The tires are squishy, but not too much.  One of the pics shows the grid infill pattern with a density of 8%.  The pattern and density can be changed resulting in a harder or softer tire.
3mm CF rods reinforce the fairings.

davidk

Landing gear attached.  Standard Cub style with the pieces printed out of a flexible TPU filament.  One part on the fuselage, and another on the wheel.  These are normally held together with elastics giving the gear some flex for landing.  However, another Bobber printer created these flexible TPU bands for the gear.
The rear wheel is also mostly flexible TPU... and the landing gear is done.

Andy Hoffer

Nice job @davidk .  Your photos are very clear and well lit.

My Spidey sense is tingling and telling me that watching this seductive build thread is going to cost me money!  ::)

Andy

Michael

Michael

davidk

Now for the wings.  This is the part where I was a bit nervous.  Each wing part took about 7 hours to print.  Now, that's printer time, not my time, but still.  However, I practiced what I wanted to do and, although I almost glued one wing to the table top, it came out pretty good.  With the wings on, it looks like a plane.
In one wing section image you can see the connectors which get the glue.  These fit into another wing section and there is very little play... but you still need to ensure they're aligned nicely.