Chili Breeze .25 build- update Jan. 1

Started by Frank v B, November 18, 2013, 10:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Have started building the Chili Breeze to replace the one lost last year.  It is a .25 size low wing, tail dragger sport pattern plane.  It has 48" span.  The fuse is balsa sheeting.   It was my favourite plane over the last 20 years.  This will be my fourth version at 100% size on the plan but built for electric.  The others were 100% IC .25, 115% IC .45, 90% .25 IC, .  Will walk you through the build with photos so you can adapt the process to any plane you feel like building.  It will be split it into five main parts:
1) how to cut ribs for a double tapered wing
2) building the wing halves
3) Joining the wing halves and making the landing gear mount.
4) how to transfer the fuselage to sheet balsa
5) how to build/fit a battery hatch- the plans do not have a hatch anywhere. All access required wing removal.

Frank

"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Nice!  Another build thread!

I look forward to seeing it come together, Frank.

Ya know, I mentioned this to Michael at the meeting last week.  We had an excellent show and tell, and almost everything there was a plane under construction or planes recently built by our members.  It was really nice to see lots of active building in the club.

So who else is building this year?  Start a thread and keep us posted!

O.K..... back to you, Frank  ;D

Frank v B

Update:
The plane is almost ready for covering.  The fuse and tail group are done, the wing is done, hinged, centre section glassed, servos are in (both wing and fuse), motor is in.  Just need to finish the wing attachment, install the fuse push rods, filling/final sanding.

I opted for the Ededge Morepower version:  the old one flew great on about 400 watts (3 lbs).  The Ededge upgrade is a racing .25 Eflite (1250 kv) putting out 800 watts.  two reasons: 1) the old one could only have a 10" prop max (10x10) because of ground clearance.  The new set-up has an 8x8 prop, and; 2) why not an even doubling of the watts? 

"you can always throttle back if you have to"

Will bring it to the Pilot's Meeting next week.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Hey Frank!  You must be done by now.  Where's the finished product photo?