Started by wollins, November 11, 2013, 12:03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

Got a little more done tonight.  :)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

sihinch

Fascinating structure Colin.  I'm only just starting to build and have not encountered anything like this before.  It reminds me of the "strut & tie" suspension bridges that we used to build in high school Technology lessons.

I find it amazing that (please don't take offence) a rather stick like structure will eventually withstand the stresses and loads that flying and landing places on our models. It fascinates me, completely.

Please, please, please keep the photos coming.  I cant wait to see it become an aircraft.

S

wollins

Quote from: sihinch on January 22, 2014, 09:00:32 AM
Fascinating structure Colin.  I'm only just starting to build and have not encountered anything like this before.  It reminds me of the "strut & tie" suspension bridges that we used to build in high school Technology lessons.

I find it amazing that (please don't take offence) a rather stick like structure will eventually withstand the stresses and loads that flying and landing places on our models. It fascinates me, completely.

Please, please, please keep the photos coming.  I cant wait to see it become an aircraft.

S

Offense?  Not at all ... I share the same view!  ;) It has always fascinated me as to how these structures can withstand any force whatsoever.  Keep in mind this is my very first build of this kind as well!  I'm accoustomed to building/flying "flying bricks" ... big heavy planes that "plow" through the sky as opposed to float around.

This sort of structure is especially fascinating when you actually build it yourself because you experience first hand how flimsy it is at the beginning and then how it gains rigidity and strength as the process goes on. Its all the magic of engineering. 

I'm actually quite enjoying it even though its a bear (for me) to "figure" out the plans.  I have a feeling that it'll come out awesome though! I have enough experience messing around with building and modifying so that even of I don't stick exactly according to the "plan" I'm confident that it'll still come out great.  Any changes or fudges I make can only make it stronger (since I tend to over engineer) and I have a LOT of leeway as regards to adding weight. 

This model tends to come out at 4.5lbs at 702sq inches of wing area giving it a wing cube loading of a measly 8.2.  That sounds like a kite to me! (or at least a trainer! lol!) I'm sorta basing my AUW goal on Rob's 215 which if I remember correctly (he can correct me if I'm wrong) has an AUW of between 6 and 7 pounds at roughly the same wing area.  (The planes are almost identical in specs) 

I'd like to come in at 6 pounds or below.  That gives me a LOT of room to play with for "extras" so I'm happy.
When I say extras I intend to sheet the entire fuse (as opposed to 3/4 that the plan calls for) and add some scale flaps. (the plane has none cause its so light) That's it ... I can't see that adding a lot of weight so my 6 lb limit is quite reasonable. (I hope)

Colin   
|
|
|

piker

"Over engineering" should make it lighter, not heavier.   Under engineering would be the process of adding extra structure and weight to compensate for the fact that the real numbers and design principles are not known.   ;D

It IS very surprising how flimsy and weak the structure will seem at this point, but be very careful about beefing it up.  The weight and strength will gradually increase as the various parts and layers are added.  I'm actually quite concerned about the structural design of my Stanraer as it's quite beefy already.

It is looking fantastic so far!  It almost looks like you know what you're doing!   :P

wollins

Quote from: piker on January 22, 2014, 10:34:39 AM

It is looking fantastic so far!  It almost looks like you know what you're doing!   :P

I don't ... but I've decided that I'm not gonna let that bother me.  ;D I was a bit stressed at first about the whole deciphering the plans thing but you know what?  I know what the end result should be so if I run into a snag I have no problem deviating a bit to get there.  At the end of the day it has to be strong and true, with a reasonable wingloading. It's just a model after all and I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it! lol!

I'm kinda liking working with balsa though ... its amazing how you can manipulate it.  There's a VERY difficult bend between the first and second bulkheads .... difficult because there isn't a lot of length to work with so the bend is somewhat acute (across the length that it has to bend) so what I've done was clamped it in (see pic in my last post) to the limit of its bendability (is that a word? lol) and then painted it with windex every half an hour or so ... then after a couple of applications I would tighten the clamp some more and then apply more windex etc etc ... after a few of these I got it to bend in quite nicely.  Kinda cool, still have a quarter inch more to go though so hopefully it won't break.

Colin

P.S. Turns out Jenna likes trains better ... when I try to tell her about the build this is what she does!  ;D
|
|
|

Papa

The reason this structure works so well is it's ability to spread a load throughout the structure by means of the interconnected pieces. That is why it is important to make all the joints well and have good contact where they are glued. The load will go to the weakest point and blow it apart rather than continue to dissipate throughout the structure.

Looking very good so does your model.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

wollins

I had a bit of time so I made a bit of progress. Still have a bunch to do on this fuse. Some cross bracing pieces, the cockpit area, (looks a bit challenging) the keel, the tail feathers and then sheeting.

Colin.

I know, I know ... another pic with my kids. It's only because they're "new" and I like em!  ;D
|
|
|

Ededge2002

What a smile!!!  Good work there Colin and the plane is coming along too
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: wollins on January 26, 2014, 11:45:08 PM
I had a bit of time so I made a bit of progress. Still have a bunch to do on this fuse. Some cross bracing pieces, the cockpit area, (looks a bit challenging) the keel, the tail feathers and then sheeting.

Colin.

I know, I know ... another pic with my kids. It's only because they're "new" and I like em!  ;D

She definitely looks like she is ready for the TEMAC Wings program.  (Now if we could just get Mike to come out to the field in winter we could start her next weekend!!)

Andy

Papa

Would you give over! You're like a frozen 'Pied Piper of Hamlin'.

We're wise to you. I'm calling you "Frostbite Freddy of TEMAC" from now on.

Anyone got a better name for Andy???

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

piker

You're brave trusting Mya with that delicate structure  ;D

It looks great!!!

How about "Arctic Andy"?

wollins

Quote from: piker on January 27, 2014, 02:03:23 PM
You're brave trusting Mya with that delicate structure  ;D

That's the thing though ... its not so delicate now.  I'm amazed as to how rigid it has become, and its not even sheeted yet!

Colin

P.S Besides Mya wouldn't damage my stuff ... she's a good kid.   ;D 
|
|
|

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: Papa on January 27, 2014, 11:51:09 AM
Would you give over! You're like a frozen 'Pied Piper of Hamlin'.

We're wise to you. I'm calling you "Frostbite Freddy of TEMAC" from now on.

Anyone got a better name for Andy???

Jack.

I guess you can lead a horse to water (or ice), but you can't make him drink (or chew).   :D

The Ice Man Stayeth

sihinch

Abominable Andy?!

Love the plane Colin, sorry we're vearing away from topic.  Seeing really makes me want to build something like that. It's so cool.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on January 27, 2014, 03:09:59 PM
Abominable Andy?!

Love the plane Colin, sorry we're vearing away from topic.  Seeing really makes me want to build something like that. It's so cool.

Hmm.....  Abominable Andy ........   I think I kind of fancy that. 
It's sure to strike fear and trepidation in the very heart of Wolfman Jack!!