Norseman from the ashes

Started by eric, November 24, 2013, 03:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eric

With Ken Coleman's expert assistance the wing is now in one piece and stronger than when it was first built. Just some cap strips, sheeting, filling and sanding to complete. I'll use the wing as a template to rebuild the top of the fuselage (the front pegs and rear hold down attach holes are already on the wing) and then it'll be recover time.

Eric

Papa

Looking better than ever.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wingnutz

Hi Eric, I'd like to be at ROGO when Chimo Air flies again. Unless you like to maiden in private, please let us know.
Once that pesky re-maiden is out of the way, it'd be fun to fly the Norsemen ( Norsemans?) together in celebration of and tribute to your determination to re-build!
I took your advice on the DH-2 and have ordered a replacement and will pick it up from a US PO box in Lewiston when I'm visiting my friend in Welland. I'm tired of US advertised prices that double by the time they reach my door.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

eric

Hi Bill;

I agree; it seems ludicrous that you can order goods from HK in China and get them cheaper to your door than ordering from the US.

The wing is now completely repaired, sheeted and final sanded and I'm ready to re-build the fuselage top. By tomorrow night the airframe should be ready for recover. That's a job as most of the frame is bare sticks. After that, its fit the cowl, re-cut and fit the windshield and then add all the electronics. Still a loooong way to go. I rather doubt it will be ready to fly this year as I have a lot on my plate, but we'll see.

It would indeed be fun to have a Norseman group flight.

Eric

eric

This re-building stuff takes a lot longer than expected, at least for me anyway. The fuselage top is now strengthened and a major mod done to the wing saddle. I was not happy with the way the Norseman flew, way too fast and very twitchy longitudinally. When I checked the incidence of the main wing, it was minus 2 degrees compared to the horizontal stab - no wonder it flew poorly. Sloping pieces have been installed and incidence is now a few degrees positive.

The front wing hold down structure is installed with bracing underneath so now its just the rear hold down plate for completion of the top fuse. Windshield re-build is next which just about completes the airframe and then its cover time.

Eric

sihinch

Great stuff Eric. Keep going at it.....

eric

After a complete re-cover of the right wing and patching of the left, I repaired/replaced all flap and aileron surfaces. After re-hinging, installing the pushrods and running the wiring -  surprise, surprise, everything works flawlessly. The wing is now 100% complete.

On to fuselage re-cover, windshield area re-build and making new wing struts.

Eric

Papa

Looks like  brand new.

Excellent job.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Frank v B

Go Eric!.  The Norseman-build participants are proud of your achievements.

This shows you that if you build a model from scratch, you can re-build it when scratched.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

eric

Well, its time to push on towards the finish. The fuselage was OK at the rear so I mated up to that with new covering in the white/yellow scheme, then laid the blue stripe over the join. The first picture shows the beginning stages with wrinkly covering all over the place. Next up was re-building the bottom loading battery hatch and re-installing the re-built landing gear assembly. Last, but not least, the windscreen frame and imitation glass was installed. If anyone is looking for a cheap and cheerful way to install windshields, I've developed what I think is a good system. I use a laminate of transparent overhead projector sheet and that tinted plastic material used to make car windows darker. Slosh both pieces liberally (don't stint or you'll get bubbles) in Windex and mate together. Use a soft piece of cardboard and, working from the middle out in all directions, squeegee the excess liquid out to remove all air bubbles. Quick and looks good!

All that's left before the maiden is to install the remainder of the electronics and programme all controls, flaps, etc..

I'll leave the graphics until I'm sure she'll fly. It takes hours to put on the windows, doors and lettering, so if I stuff it on its first flight I don't want to have wasted an entire evening making it purty. Now its wait for this cursed wind to knock it off and then sneak out for a quick flight - fingers and toes crossed!

Eric

eric

Oops, forgot to add this. To attach the windshield, I cut strips of covering material 5/16" wide. With a trim iron on high, CAREFULLY iron half the strip onto the edge of the windshield. Don't leave the iron on one place for long and be very careful not to touch the windshield with the hot iron or you'll melt or distort it quickly. Attach the other half to the fuselage or window frame in the same manner. Its way easier than it sounds.

Eric

piker

That is just fantastic, Eric!

I know how badly damaged the Norseman was and how you had determined that it wasn't worth repairing, so to see it back and looking really nice is very satisfying.  That's a great example of approaching a repair, bit by bit, and getting 'er done.  And as much work as it was, I bet it was a LOT less work than building a new one from scratch.

Excellent work!

sihinch

And it looks brand new!  Well done, Eric.

battlestu

she looks great.... can't wait for the maiden report

if you need pictures i can be there as well
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

eric

There was nothing on TV tonight that I wanted to see and the Norseman with its barren sides was staring pitieously at me from the bench, so I decided to bite the bullet and spend the evening putting on the graphics and applying the finishing touches. Its 11:50pm and its finally ready to fly.

It was quite a difficult journey for me, with a lot of head scratching, but also extremely rewarding to take a pile of wreckage and turn it back into something that's recognizable as an airplane.

Thanks to everybody for their encouragement, especially Ken Coleman who walked me through the wing re-build and other difficult parts. I'd never have gotten the strengthening done properly myself and the wing is surely stronger than it was when I originally built it.

Nothing left to do now but commit aviation when there's a break in the weather and see what happens.

Eric