Northstar

Started by Papa, December 01, 2013, 10:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

Laddie Mikulasko is a legendary Canadian designer and builder. He is also very modest. When Ron Busche founded Balsa USA in the mid 70's the first three models to which he bought the rights were Laddie's Northstar, Enforce and Force One. As a tribute to Laddie's skill as a designer all three are still in the catalogue.

My kit was packaged around mid summer 1987 and sold for $59.97 USD. I bought it at the London Swap meet last year and am now getting around to building it.

I have a contra rotating motor which should put out about 800 watts.
I will add an inch to the fin so I can use 11 or 12" props.
I'm covering it with 1/16" rather than film.
Then covering with 1/2 oz. FG.
I plan on putting the horns on top of the wing so I can fly it off grass now and then.
I'm also going to use thin wing servos in the fin for the rudder and in the pod for the elevator. 

I have started the wing but it's a big one. 44" wingspan, the root chord is almost 24".

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Michael

battlestu

mmmm ribs....

looking good Jack!
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Wingnutz

The Polaris' grandad...and Canadian too! Very cool! :D
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Quote from: battlestu on December 02, 2013, 09:34:36 AM
mmmm ribs....

Warning: thread hijack!

So we know where to get great wings (either from Mike H or Colonel Mustard) but where do you get the best ribs?  ;D

Great build Jack - you really are on a roll.

battlestu

**shameless plug alert for Ben and his great work at Taxi**

Boston Pizza Meets the Ribnecks

sorry to get back on track she looks like it will be a fun plane to fly!
Jason's 1980's Kit Built Balsa USA Northstar Float Plane - Evo .60NX
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

bfeist

Quote from: battlestu on December 02, 2013, 10:15:42 AM
**shameless plug alert for Ben and his great work at Taxi**

Boston Pizza Meets the Ribnecks

Shameless plug accepted. Here's our latest:
BostonPizza "High Note" on Vimeo

Papa

Now that the frivolity is over, Hint Hint.

Here is a neat way to hold the ribs while gluing!

I used a magnet with a T-square to hold them in place. It worked great. I tried holding them but they shook so much the glue would not set. This way is hands free.

I am fed up with Thin CA dispensers that flow too much glue and leave lumps that have to be sanded later. What I do is pour some glue in a small plastic bowl. Used pudding containers after the grand kids have been visiting. I apply the glue with a disposable brush, 20 for a few bucks in Princess Auto. No more messy glue joints.

I do the same for aliphatic glue, note the jar in the background.

Jack
A motto to live by:

Bigstik

Looking god Jack! Which contra rotating motor are you going to use?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Papa

Hi Al it was one I bought from HK about two years ago. I think it's discontinued but each motor puts out just under 400watts so almost 800watts in total.

Here is the fuselage and it's a long one. the stick is a meter and it's about 8" longer.

Now to get on with Pilot's meeting stuff.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Gregor77

Papa

A little more progress.

The hull is sheeted and rough finished.

I have made experimental magnetic hatches for the wing servos. I used the magnetic rubber that you use on fridge doors. I got it in Dollorama. It has a clear pouch attached for photographs but if you strip that off you have a rubberised magnetic sheet that's about 1/32nd thick. My thinking is it will make a seal to stop casual water from penetrating. Plan "B" of course will be screws in each corner.

I'm on hold until I get some silicone wire. The motors will be 36" from the ESC's

I could not find a can of beer so Ed I hope a can of Bushs' Beans will help your scale fixation. the coffee mug in the other shots is a standard size mug.

Either way this is a big sucker!

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Ededge2002

Looks great Jack and I can't think of a better substitute for the "beer bottle for scale" concept than BEANS!!  They are at least in the these things give you gas family.   Keep up the great work.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Bloody hell, it's huge!

Michael

That does look big!  :o
Michael