Spitfire winter build

Started by the giant, March 18, 2015, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

can't wait to her in the air!!

Great job
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Papa

Looks great Andre. Did you use a spray gun? If so how much dilution did you use? You can get the same paints in Dollarama for a lot less. American made to boot.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

the giant

Yes, I used a spray gun.  I diluted the paint about 10% with water.  I think the dark earth was a little more diluted and resulted in some "bleeding" at the leading edge that will get cleaned up. Unfortunately, i experienced a couple of issues with the humidity.  We'll see how it turns out once is gets a final "semi-gloss" coat. 
I had seen some of the "folk art" paint at the dollar store.  But there wasn't the variety that Michael's has. 

piker

Very nice, Andre!  Up to your usual standards!  Excellence!

the giant

Thanks guys.  My "little buddy" showed up today.   ;D

the giant

Well, i finally have the markings on the Spit. 
Still to be done... install the receiver, esc, bec, aileron linkage, secure batteries.  Then ready to fly. Current weight with motor batteries: 10 lbs.  The other components will add another 4-5 oz. 

Papa

Wow Andre, that looks great.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

the giant

Well, i'm hoping for a maiden this weekend.  Actually two.
I'm watching the weather and keeping my fingers crossed.  My second maiden is a P 51 mustang that was piled in at full throttle a year ago.  It didn't take long to build and cover a new fuse and tail.  The wing was perfectly in tact. 

Bigstik

Very nice Andre!. Love to see it. Are you and the Spit going to make it to either Kingston or Bramalea?
Bigstik

the giant

I will be at Kingston with car load.  I do need to check the dates for Bramalea.

the giant

Well, the test flight didn't go well.  Those who were there can attest...it was spectacular.  Video and pictures will be posted soon by some of the pilots who were there.  Thanks for all the support guys.  But it was an airplane that i suspect might have snapped in as i tried to land.  Who knows.  Anyhow, on to the next project. ????

Papa

Andre, you flew it beautifully and did all the right things, height etc. It was a wonderful sight in full song and you did a magnificent job of building. It looked extremely scale like with a super sound. I'm sick at the sound it made going in and doubt you could have saved it. I'm so sorry to have seen it end like that. Something you build yourself has a special attachment that only builders know. It makes it all the harder.

Good luck with the next project and please do another blog, this one has been so interesting.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

sihinch

gmcnic

Hi Andre,

It was a pleasure to meet you and your father today.
I am so sorry things did not finish as expected.

Thank you for coming all the way to our field today.
Graham
https://youtu.be/frtpZmwv3Rw

Michael

For those of you who don't know, André is a founding member of TEMAC. I've known André for about a quarter of a century, and although I don't see him often, I count him as a close personal friend. André helped me with the negotiations and lease when we started TEMAC, and he was one of a very tiny few who put in hours of hard work preparing TEMAC's field.

André devotes his life to helping others and serving his community, and he's one of the finest human beings I know.

That makes it especially difficult to acknowledge this setback in his pleasure, yet he reacts with maturity and good nature.

I look forward to spending time with you, André, in Kingston; we'll have a good time.

Michael