GP Siren nose job

Started by Frank v B, August 10, 2015, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank v B

Some of you have seen my Siren warm liner (78" span) with the plumber's lead wrapped around the nose to make it balance.  It flies nicely but the 6 ounces of lead can't help. 
Saturday evening I cut off the nose (firewall with motor), slipped in a chunk of pink foam, sanded it to the contour of the fuselage and extended the nose by about 1 1/2".  Will put plastic over the foam block and mold release and then slip a carbon sock over it and soak it with epoxy.  I figure that the extra length will not only move the motor but also the battery forward.
If it still comes out tail heavy, I will move the elevator servo in the tail into the fuselage below the wing

This plane has a nice carbon fibre fuselage but it was designed at the tail end of the brushed motor era.  The current BL motor weighs less than half the original brushed one.  Want to have it ready for the TEMAC funfly.

The plane flies nicely but would make Ed and Ben yawn and ask for a wake-up call with all of about 300 watts of power. :D

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Frank v B

Nose job update:

The nose is now about 1 1/4" longer, the motor is in.   Have just added a final coat of finishing epoxy to smooth out the finish.
I have decided to add a rudder to kick the ass end around in a turn.  The fuse is the same length as a Rifle 1M but it has twice the wingspan.  It doesn't like to turn too easily.  Lots of room in the fuse for an extra servo. 
The motor leads now exit the fuse at the firewall because it is an outrunner.  The rotating can was dangerously close to the wires.  I will plug them in first (bullet connectors outside the fuse) and fly it.  If everything works fine and the motor runs the right way, I will cut out the connectors and permanently solder the connections.

Will try to test fly it this Wednesday if there are enough instructors out for me to sneak a flight.   Our fearless CFI Mr. Mike should be back in his unemployed glory. ;D

Frank

Frank v B

The motor, battery and radio are in.  The new rudder and rudder servo are in place.  It now just needs final assembly at the field and a gentle toss in the air.  The CG is almost where I want it without 6 oz of lead.  Have put one loop of lead on the nose (1 oz) just for the re-maiden flight.  Am bringing a garbage bag just in case. ;D

Fingers and toes crossed.

Frank

Frank v B

It flew fine last Wednesday.  The new rudder kicks the rear end around nicely in the turns.  Tonight I have moved the elevator servo from the tail to the servo tray at the trailing edge of the wing.  It should help the balance even more.  Net result- the plane is 6 oz lighter!!

Frank